Is praying for someone(even when it's not requested for you to do so) a "gift"?

Is prayer something that can be considered a gift you give to someone? And if so, does this mean that person is required to say thank you? OR does this mean the person can refuse said " gift"?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 7:39 PM on Dec. 27, 2012 in Religious Debate

• but more like a spiritual gift.
    *****************************
    how so? How does one praying for another, and especially when they do not inform the recipient of it, help them spiritually? Or does it just help the one doing the praying? because maybe they feel they are actually doing something.
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 7:58 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• Most people who know me know I am not religious. So if they want to pray for me. I will not say thank you, as it was a gift. It is something they want to do for them self. Makes them feel better.

Answer by louise2 at 8:02 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• So it's kind of like 5 year old fruitcake that's been regifted time and time again?
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:00 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• At church you can have prayer cards made -
    The power of prayer is such a mighty thing, and so many can use it
    Sometimes just that sentiment could mean something GREAT to a person who could really use it and you have no idea what they might be going thru
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 10:07 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• I am all about intent. I know there are people that have prayed for me in times when I really needed it, and I did thank them for it. I knew they were doing it because it was the only way they knew of to lend a helping hand, and thier intent was good. HOWEVER, there have been times when people have said they will pray for my soul's eternal salvation and I have told them where they can stick their prayer and the nose they blew it out of. I don't need or want their prayer in that case because it is nothing more then a self-serving load of cow s**t.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:16 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• I have known families who are with hospice to request the nurses and staff do not pray or offer prayer while in their home. This confused the very religious nurses I worked with. I had to explain they can pray privately, on their own time, about the family and patient, but not at the home of the family. It seemed obvious to me but always startled and offended the nurses. Granted I live in what is considered the most conservative state in the country but still - it should have been obvious. And to not then later tell them you prayed for them. Yes, it would actually happen. We would get a request and then someone on staff would announce they prayed for them in church, at home...whatever. And it would cause some issues. I can pray on my own time because I really feel compelled to but I find it selfish to announce it if not asked to by specific individuals.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:37 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• It's a gift to the person who prayed if they get "credit" for it.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:37 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• I don't consider it a gift since I'm not getting anything out of it. But if the person means well, I accept it as an act of kindness and caring. I'll even thank them to show good manners.

Just like I say thanks when someone blesses me for sneezing.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:47 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• I do not think of it as any more of a gift that if I wish some one well or a happy day.
    I value prayer and if someone asks if they would like them to pray for me I say yes and thank you.
    I do not think it needs to be announced that I am praying for some one, though.
    The billboard is a curious thing though.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:37 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• As far as gifts go they say "it's the thought that counts" so if someone is spending their prayer time thinking about you I guess you could consider it a gift. I always thank people who pray for me, I can use all the prayers I can get!

Answer by missanc at 12:31 AM on Dec. 28, 2012