Is praying for someone(even when it's not requested for you to do so) a "gift"?

Is prayer something that can be considered a gift you give to someone? And if so, does this mean that person is required to say thank you? OR does this mean the person can refuse said " gift"?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 7:39 PM on Dec. 27, 2012 in Religious Debate

• I wouldn't consider it a gift.  Prayer is for the pray-er.  I would appreciate the thought, as much as I appreciate kind thoughts and well-wishes from those who love and care about me . . . but I wouldn't fall all over myself in gratitude if someone said they were praying for me.  The belief in prayer is very contradictory.  People believe in the power of it, but will also have a number of excuses ready for when their prayers aren't answered - that god DID answer the prayer, just not how they expected, for example, or that god has other plans, or that prayer isn't meant to be used as a wish-granting device.  Regardless, it seems that if there is a god who's omniscient and omnipotent, then that god already knows what will happen (that's part of being omniscient, after all) and has determined it (part of omnipotent), so prayer seems a futile exercise, at best.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 7:34 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• We should make "DUA" prayer not only for ourselves but also for our parents, brothers and sisters, spouses and children, relatives and friends, teachers and other benefactors, destitute and struggling people everywhere. Our dear prophet Hazrat MOHAMMAD (May peace be upon him) said, The (Dua) prayer of a Muslim for his brother in his absence is readily accepted. An angel is appointed to his side. Whenever he makes a beneficial prayer for his brother, the appointed angel says, Ameen. And you may also be blessed with the same.

kity-bity

Answer by kity-bity at 11:54 AM on Dec. 29, 2012

• It depends. If someone offers me their sincere prayers, I do view them as a gift, a gift of their time, their good thoughts and their concern for me and I appreciate them immensely. If the prayers are offered as away to reproach (you know, the good old "I'll pray for you" some people throw around when they don't like what you believe) then no, it's not a gift, because it's not out of love and concern, but just to satisfy their own egos. I don't appreciate them in the same way, but I couldn't care less if they pray or not for me.
    Personally, I only offer prayers when asked or when they're for a person I know would appreciate it if he/she knew.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 12:24 AM on Dec. 30, 2012

• I don't consider it a gift and if you chose to pray for me I don't see how i would be required to say thank you though that seems a little mean but in my opinion I didn't ask for you to and it's not going to mean it changes the situation that you prayed for and even if it does it is circumstantial
    Jessplus31979

Answer by Jessplus31979 at 8:41 PM on Dec. 30, 2012