Is praying for someone(even when it's not requested for you to do so) a "gift"?

Is prayer something that can be considered a gift you give to someone? And if so, does this mean that person is required to say thank you? OR does this mean the person can refuse said " gift"?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 7:39 PM on Dec. 27, 2012 in Religious Debate

• I have to admit that your question is confusing to me.
    If you offer to pray for someone they can ask you not to.
    I suppose you could view it as a gift in that they are giving you thier time and concern. Other than that I am not sure how to answer.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 7:46 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• I have been prayed for during times of great stress. I understood it was the person's way of telling me I was in their thoughts. I did say thanks.

I have also had my eternal soul prayed for because I don't believe in Jesus- I told them where to get off.

I guess it's the intent? (for me).
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:48 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• Well I saw a sign on a building today and it said "Don't know what to get someone? Pray for them. Merry christmas!"
    So, it made me wonder about how prayer could be considered a gift or not.
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 7:48 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• I always try to send a prayer that would include everyone whether I know them or not since we are are facing many of the same situations in life and I do not tell someone I pray for them unless I know where they stand on belief in prayer.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:48 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

*************
    did you consider that a gift though?
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 7:49 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• but do you send a prayer as a "gift" to that person? Are you doing it with the same intent we have when we go out and buy a gift and give to someone for a special occasion?
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 7:50 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• I see prayer as "gee,I could actually help you,but I'd rather pray and pretend like I actually DID do something"
    I don't see it as a gift,nor something you need to thank someone for
    If it's out of the goodness of their heart,it should be selfless,not something you want credit for

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:52 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• I think prayer can be considered a gift to someone, and a gift to yourself as well. But there are times when it's best not to tell a person you are praying for him or her because it would only cause discomfort. Prayer isn't something that the recipient should be expected to thank you for, since at least in Christian thought, it's an activity that should be done in secret and not boasted about. (Matthew 6:6-8)
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:52 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• a sign on a building today and it said "Don't know what to get someone? Pray for them.

In this case, the "gift" isn't for the recipient.
    Can you imagine it?
    Merry Christmas, thanks for the sweater, I prayed for you, happy holidays!

*insert crazy eyes

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:53 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• no I do not see it like going out and buying a gift but more like a spiritual gift.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:54 PM on Dec. 27, 2012