Is praying for someone(even when it's not requested for you to do so) a "gift"?

Is prayer something that can be considered a gift you give to someone? And if so, does this mean that person is required to say thank you? OR does this mean the person can refuse said " gift"?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 7:39 PM on Dec. 27, 2012 in Religious Debate

• I see prayer as "gee,I could actually help you,but I'd rather pray and pretend like I actually DID do something"
    I don't see it as a gift,nor something you need to thank someone for
    If it's out of the goodness of their heart,it should be selfless,not something you want credit for

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:52 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• a sign on a building today and it said "Don't know what to get someone? Pray for them.

In this case, the "gift" isn't for the recipient.
    Can you imagine it?
    Merry Christmas, thanks for the sweater, I prayed for you, happy holidays!

*insert crazy eyes

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:53 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• Rude as hell and hardly a gift. Thank you for presuming to know what it is best for me and begging some deity to do it on my behalf without even giving me a say in the matter. Some present.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:33 AM on Dec. 28, 2012

• I think it depends. Someone can pray for someone else and it be a sincere, respectful, honest gesture - like praying for sickness or praying for a safe journey. But usually when someone prays that way they don't make a show of it or anything.

There's the other way, too, the condescending, showy way of it where people act like someone NEEDS prayer, and no, that's not a gift to anyone but a way to feed the ego of the one praying.

Prayer is meant, IMO, to be something to build people up, to uplift others. I may have different beliefs about the results of prayer, like whether it would actually cause God to intervene in something, but I do feel that prayer IS meant to be considerate, and not arrogant or belittling, etc.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:45 AM on Dec. 28, 2012

• I don't consider it a gift since I'm not getting anything out of it. But if the person means well, I accept it as an act of kindness and caring. I'll even thank them to show good manners.

Just like I say thanks when someone blesses me for sneezing.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:47 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• So it's kind of like 5 year old fruitcake that's been regifted time and time again?
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:00 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• For example, my opinion is that I can accept well wishes and support from anyone of any faith, no matter how they word it, as long as I know it's genuinely intended. Lighting a candle, saying a prayer, just wishing well, etc, etc, I can respect all of it and appreciate it as long as I know the one offering the encouragement is being respectful. But I can also be put off by prayers or words of those even within my own faith if I know that the person is being condescending or saying it as a put down instead of an encouragement.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:48 AM on Dec. 28, 2012

• MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:04 AM on Dec. 28, 2012

• MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:08 AM on Dec. 28, 2012

• Is it a gift? No. An act of kindness? Maybe. But even then, I find it to be a bit presumptuous to think the person receiving the prayer will be grateful. It could, in some religions, be seen as very disrespectful.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 5:24 PM on Dec. 28, 2012