Would there ever be a reason for a newspaper to print the name of the child?

Example- There was a ATV wreck this past week. The driver of the ATV is a 13 year old child. The passenger, 10 year old died from his injuries several days later. The newspaper has been reporting about the story since it happened. Today, a day after the 10 year old died, they printed the driver's name, a 13 year old.

What is your opinion on this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Dec. 27, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• They report stories with kids names all the time, sports acheivements, scholarships key figures in plays or in parades, special contributions or programs, boy scout and girls scout awards.
    I realize that you feel because the might be negative feelings toward the boy that his name should not be published. Id do not know if I agree with that. We can get the praise for the good we do but not the criticism for the bad things we do. Isn;t that ppart of the issues we have been talking about? Raising our children to accept reponsibility for their actions?
    I remember a young mang who went flying the hill. The passenger died. His name was n the paper. His sentence was to go and speak at the schools about making better choices and the consequeces for his poor choice.
    I thought it was the rught sentence,
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:01 AM on Dec. 28, 2012

• "Probably got it from the police."anonymous
    No, normally they are not allowed to, just like the medical staff. But the reporter can get the name of the 13 yr old from anybody. The 10 yr olds family could have given to them, janitor. But it is bad taste OP. I am sure there will be enough blame for all involved. Sadly enough....
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 8:35 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• I found the story quite easily and see that the name came from the accident report. The 10 year old's name came from the coroner, which is pretty standard.

If the 13 year old was to face criminal charges AND to be tried as an adult, I'd be reporting the name. If neither of those conditions apply, I don't report the name. I don't know what the policy of this particular newspaper is, but from what I've seen thus far the name should NOT have been used. In my newsroom, it would be grounds for termination.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:49 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• gdiamante

if a 13 year old here is charge with a crime, the local paper still doesn't use the name.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:46 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• I know where I live, the newspaper does not report the names of children involved in things like this.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:33 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• Probably got it from the police.
    Anonymous