Sewing machine for a beginner?

I'd like to get a good beginner sewing machine that is also affordable.

I've seen both Singer and Brother brands that seem okay.. I don't know much about brands though. Any suggestions?

anestheticsex

Asked by anestheticsex at 11:36 PM on Dec. 27, 2012 in Hobbies & Crafts

• If you are just beginning/never sewn before don't spend a lot of money. Walmart carries some nice beginner machines for barely over $100. I bought one for my 16 yr old niece who said she wanted to learn. Turns out she didn't like it. The machine sat in a closet until her sister was 12. The 12 yr old went wild for sewing. She has a flare for design. She nows makes things for friends and charges them fair prices. In October she had saved enough money to buy a very nice Bernina with lots of bells and whistles. She sold the first machine to one of her friends for $60. Until you really know how you are going to like or enjoy sewing start simply and budget friendly.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:31 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• Of the two I would choose brother and get a demonstration of all types and sewing classes on how the machine works (it should be free with purchase) Make sure YOU get to demo the machine an different fabrics. Get the best you can afford. It is worth it in the long run.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:39 PM on Dec. 27, 2012

• I manage a sewing store, Singers, Brothers, Kenmore, area ll basically the same quality. They are mass market machines made for economy. I always say they are kind of like the Toyota's, they're good little machines, and will get you were you want to go economically. Viking, Pfaff and Bernina are the high end machines, they are the Mercedes, or Jaguar. You can usually get into a new entry level one at about $300. It won't have a lot of bells and whistles, but it will be high quality.

Whatever you choose to do, make sure it has a top loading bobbin, a side spool pin, and a strong enough motor to sew on heavy enough fabrics...such as denim or pant weight fabric if you want to be able to hem your pants. The very inexpensive machines are cheaper because of a smaller motor. If you purchase from a good dealer, you will get to test them, and you will get a free owner's lesson. If you buy from a department store, of course you won't.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:11 AM on Dec. 28, 2012

• Go to a bunch if different places that sell the brand of machine you think you want. I was always partial to Singer because that's what I had first. I have heard that Brothers are really good, maybe even better than Singer. Truth is that you have to like the machine and it should be in your price range. Test driving them will help.

I have a Pfaff and LOVE IT. It can do super simple and very fancy. I mostly use my straight line and zig zag.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:01 AM on Dec. 28, 2012

• I have Toyota that was cheap and is easy to use (very clear instruction manual). I've had it for 5 years now and am very happy with it. I use it for making all kinds of clothes from all kinds of fabrics - from fine cotton through jersey to heavy denim.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 4:24 AM on Dec. 28, 2012