At what age can a boy go to the shooting gallery with his dad?

Mines is ds11

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:43 AM on Dec. 28, 2012 in Tweens (9-12)

• There is no set age limit on a kid can learn and respect a gun. Its up to the parents to make that choice. You just have to see if he is mature enough to be taught to shoot, and realize that a gun is not something to play with. Then teach them about gun safety, then tell him don't ever put his finger on the trigger until he needs to, and keep it along side the barrel of the gun and so on. If you know, not think, he understands what kind of responsibility he will have, then there should be no problem for him to go with his dad and learn to shoot.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:20 AM on Dec. 28, 2012

• They can get a hunting license here at age 12, I'd imagine gun safety/training should happen before that.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:55 AM on Dec. 28, 2012

• My 8 y.o goes with us, so does my 13 y.o. Both have completed gun safety courses
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 8:19 AM on Dec. 28, 2012

• It's now how old, but how mature. My 11 yr old is almost ready, but not quite, to go with his grandparents. Your 11 yr old might be ready, where mine is not. You have to determine whether your child is mature enough, calm enough, and listens well enough to learn gun safety, to take instruction when he's doing something that he shouldn't or doing something not quite right, etc. If you and your husband think he's ready, then he's probably ready.

If the particular range you want to take him to has an age restriction, I would think that would be posted somewhere near the entrance.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:19 AM on Dec. 28, 2012

• I believe it depends on the local laws and the ranges policy. Best bet is to call the range.
    Why not ask your hubby?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:25 AM on Dec. 28, 2012

• Why is always boys? Why cant a girl go to a shooting range with daddy, or mommy? I have a .22 (and a small game liscence) and my huby has a crossbow. We are teaching our kids (10, 8, and 5) the basics of gun safety even now. I plan on teaching all three of my kids about guns when I feel they are responsible enough to learn it. Even my daughter will be taught how to handle and shoot a gun!
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:37 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• My husband had our youngest to the range when he was 3. Both my sons know more about gun safety than the majority of adults.
    Trajik003

Answer by Trajik003 at 2:52 AM on Dec. 30, 2012

• My husband is in law enforcement and he said when the parent feels the child is ready for it. I'd say 11 is fine, if your son knows gun safety...If it's just a carnival type game, 5 would be fine.
    Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 9:02 PM on Jan. 13, 2013