Do any of your teens have an industrial piercing?

My 13 year old wants one. Is this an appropriate piercing for 13 years old? I told her to wait, at least until she is 16. Any opinions???

WifeyandMom71

Asked by WifeyandMom71 at 12:26 PM on Dec. 28, 2012 in Teens (13-17)

• Could she try this? That way, in the event she decides later it isn't her style, she wil be able to cover it with her hair style. 

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:34 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• Thank you for everyone's response. I think its best to wait.
    Thank you!
    WifeyandMom71

Comment by WifeyandMom71 (original poster) at 2:08 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• feralxat - That is the piercing she wants.
    WifeyandMom71

Comment by WifeyandMom71 (original poster) at 3:05 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• Everything in moderation.
    Piercings are fine, but limit the gauge. Also take into account what certain piercings are showing off or insinuating. Tongue piercings are an oral sex thing, belly button piercings are an excuse for her to lift her shirt, etc.
    My hubby has gauged ears and even at the tender age of 49, (LOL) there is still enough elasticity in the skin that when he takes them out the holes return to normal. I have another friend in his 60's who worked at a tattoo shop and did some pretty radical stretching and now his earlobes hang to his chin with no hope of returning.
    Point is, she's young and as trends change, etc, piercings can adapt and/or be removed.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:30 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• My stepdad is a bigwig in the pharma engineering world. Given two candidates with equal qualifications, he would choose the one with no visible holes. And I'm pretty sure if he would, there are others. In the conservative business world, holes that show do matter.
    And I know personally what a big deal my ear holes were in the modeling business. I never planned to "make it big" so it wasn't a huge deal for me, but it was commented on multiple times.

Answer by missanc at 2:25 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• I realize that - but nose piercings, even just a normal one, can be visible, and in some cases, employers don't want that, even if you are willing to remove it. My ex-husband ended up missing out on a job because he had a simple eyebrow piercing. I'll grant you - this was a good ten years ago, and I now work for myself, from home, so it's possible this has changed some. But where I live - I doubt it. I live around some of the most uptight, stick-up-their-ass people you've ever seen. lol
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:06 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• We're not talking Gauges here wendy.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:48 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• Piercing holes don't prevent people from getting jobs anymore than a scar from heart surgery or where you nearly cut your finger off as a kid does. So yeah it IS just as simple as removing the piercing for job interviews, etc.

That's not entirely true. I've interviewed for some jobs where the requirement was very clearly stated that ANY visible piercing holes (other than ears) were unacceptable. It was usually for jobs where you worked with the public alot, and/or very conservative type jobs, for example one was a church secretary job. So, the holes can stop you from getting a job if it's big enough and the employer is conservative enough, or feels the clientele is conservative enough, to be bothered by it. It's all about the image projected, and sometimes that hole doesn't project the image an employer wants to see.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:44 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:25 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• Piercing holes do not regrow after a time. My dh has marks on his ears where they were pierced when he was younger and he hates it. When I did some petite modeling, they hated that I had my ears pierced because that always meant they had to make sure they were covered. I went without earrings for years, they never grew back.
    It's not as simple as just removing the jewelry.

Answer by missanc at 1:16 PM on Dec. 28, 2012