Do any of your teens have an industrial piercing?

My 13 year old wants one. Is this an appropriate piercing for 13 years old? I told her to wait, at least until she is 16. Any opinions???

WifeyandMom71

Asked by WifeyandMom71 at 12:26 PM on Dec. 28, 2012 in Teens (13-17)

• Could she try this? That way, in the event she decides later it isn't her style, she wil be able to cover it with her hair style. 

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:34 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• I was okay with piercings with my kids and this one isn't that big a deal. That said, I didn't allow them at 13. Sixteen was my minimum age
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 12:29 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• Never! Not now, not ever would I let my kids do it! It may be a fad now, but later they will regret it.
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 12:30 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• Way too young. I wouldn't allow it until after they graduate from H.S. What about when they want to go out & get a job? Not appropriate. It's like an obvious tattoo on an old lady. What was once cool is not so cool when you get older. That's my opinion. You as the Mother are supposed to be the one with good judgement & experience to what is right & wrong & guide the child appropriately. Not saying you aren't just saying that they need a lot of guidance at that age.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:31 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• No, my children will not be getting anything other than a single piercing in their ear lobe while they are living in my house. Once they are on their own they can make those decisions.

Answer by missanc at 12:35 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• You know these piercings are easily removable right?

All of my kids had various piercings and yet all grew up to be productive members of society, completing college and finding gainful employment in their respective fields.

I'm not saying that the OP should allow it (totally her call) but to say they'll be scarred for life is disingenuous. When they need to take them out, they take them out.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 12:43 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• You know, I would have her wait until she's 16. My eldest son wanted to gauge his ears, either his junior or senior year of high school. I researched it and talked to him. I limited the the size gauge, he never gauged them. He's in college now, and wanted to pierce his cartilage in October, not anymore.
    Their desires change so frequently as teens that waiting IMHO, she may decide not to pierce it. She's not going to be happy you're having her wait....but I agree with you about having her wait.
    143myboys9496

Answer by 143myboys9496 at 12:43 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• Personally I wouldn't allow it until they are 18 but, that's just me.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:48 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• I would say it depends on what the parents and child are comfortable with. My kids don't have any piercing's right now (not even ears) but they aren't interested in any right now. When they are older that may change. Honestly it's not THAT big of a deal. Especially when you consider the piercings are easily removable. Age is the only factor I would take into consideration and if the OP has already stated she wants her daughter to wait until she's 16 then that's all there is to it. I would probably have my kids wait until a similar age.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:51 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• And yeah I'm a mom with tattoos and they probably won't look as "cool" when I'm 80 but I didn't get them as a fashion statement or Fad in order to look "cool". Please give us tattooed moms some credit. We're not just punks who got all inked up to piss off mommy and daddy. It's art.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:53 PM on Dec. 28, 2012