Do any of your teens have an industrial piercing?

My 13 year old wants one. Is this an appropriate piercing for 13 years old? I told her to wait, at least until she is 16. Any opinions???

WifeyandMom71

Asked by WifeyandMom71 at 12:26 PM on Dec. 28, 2012 in Teens (13-17)

• You know, I would have her wait until she's 16. My eldest son wanted to gauge his ears, either his junior or senior year of high school. I researched it and talked to him. I limited the the size gauge, he never gauged them. He's in college now, and wanted to pierce his cartilage in October, not anymore.
    Their desires change so frequently as teens that waiting IMHO, she may decide not to pierce it. She's not going to be happy you're having her wait....but I agree with you about having her wait.
    143myboys9496

Answer by 143myboys9496 at 12:43 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• Piercing holes don't prevent people from getting jobs anymore than a scar from heart surgery or where you nearly cut your finger off as a kid does. So yeah it IS just as simple as removing the piercing for job interviews, etc.

That's not entirely true. I've interviewed for some jobs where the requirement was very clearly stated that ANY visible piercing holes (other than ears) were unacceptable. It was usually for jobs where you worked with the public alot, and/or very conservative type jobs, for example one was a church secretary job. So, the holes can stop you from getting a job if it's big enough and the employer is conservative enough, or feels the clientele is conservative enough, to be bothered by it. It's all about the image projected, and sometimes that hole doesn't project the image an employer wants to see.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:44 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• I would say it depends on what the parents and child are comfortable with. My kids don't have any piercing's right now (not even ears) but they aren't interested in any right now. When they are older that may change. Honestly it's not THAT big of a deal. Especially when you consider the piercings are easily removable. Age is the only factor I would take into consideration and if the OP has already stated she wants her daughter to wait until she's 16 then that's all there is to it. I would probably have my kids wait until a similar age.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:51 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• i would wait a few years
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:55 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• Piercing holes do not regrow after a time. My dh has marks on his ears where they were pierced when he was younger and he hates it. When I did some petite modeling, they hated that I had my ears pierced because that always meant they had to make sure they were covered. I went without earrings for years, they never grew back.
    It's not as simple as just removing the jewelry.

Answer by missanc at 1:16 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:25 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• I realize that - but nose piercings, even just a normal one, can be visible, and in some cases, employers don't want that, even if you are willing to remove it. My ex-husband ended up missing out on a job because he had a simple eyebrow piercing. I'll grant you - this was a good ten years ago, and I now work for myself, from home, so it's possible this has changed some. But where I live - I doubt it. I live around some of the most uptight, stick-up-their-ass people you've ever seen. lol
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:06 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• I do not know what an industrial piercing is, but I thought the law was not until 18 or is that just tattoos?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:07 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• I have 2 tattoos. I used to have a naval piercing. I would allow my sons to get an ear piercing - maybe at 13, but I'm not sure. Anything beyond a simple ear piercing I would want them to be older. I have explained to them that it's not that I don't want them to express themselves in that way, but that I want them to be sure of what they're expressing and that they want to. Each tat I have I got for a reason, and even my naval piercing had a reason. I was over 18 when I got all of them, so my parents had no say. I think if you feel she needs to be at least 16, then you tell her that and that's the end of the discussion. You tell her when she's 16, you can revisit the discussion if she still wants one.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:13 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• We're not talking Gauges here wendy.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:48 PM on Dec. 28, 2012