If water intake recommendations for adults is (and I know opinions and rec's vary) 8-8oz glasses/half your weight in ouces/etc, how much water are kids supposed to drink? Is there a "standard" for them?

idareyou

Asked by idareyou at 12:38 PM on Dec. 28, 2012 in Kids' Health

• All i know is it's pretty hard to trick my kid into drinking a glass of water
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:50 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• It's non caffeinated,preferably sugar free liquid intake totals,same as adults,and would depend on activity levels. I'd say at least until the urine is colorless. 32oz bare minimum

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:55 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• It depends on weight, size and activity level. When DGS plays soccer in the heat he can easily consume half of that during and after the game.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:06 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• They hardly drink anything besides water - the occasional milk (mainly at school) and juice once or twice a week (again, mainly at school) - I don't make koolaid or anything of that sort. They all love water and refill their glasses as they need to. I just worry that they don't drink enough anyway but can't force them to drink more (unless I let them eat chips or pretzels or something lol).
    idareyou

Comment by idareyou (original poster) at 2:13 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• I would still go by the 1/2 your body weight in oz of water as a minimum per day. The amount of water you need is largely dependent on your size - a baby needs less than a 2yo needs less than a 10yo, etc. 1/2 weight is oz is a good starting place. If they are super actively they will probably drink more. If its a lazy day at the house, the minimum probably would suffice.
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 2:56 PM on Dec. 28, 2012