Ohio student wins stalking orders against parents...

http://www.12newsnow.com/story/20440609/ohio-student-wins-stalking-order-against-extreme-helicopter-parents

Sorry, I can't do a clicky. Do you think she should repay her parents the tuition and pay her own damn way? I sure as hell think so.

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 12:44 PM on Dec. 28, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• No! She shouldn't have to pay them back.
    They wouldn't allow her to live her own life. They treated her like she was 10,not 21

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:52 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• It sounds to me like her parents are psycho... I don't know about the tuition part but I would have got a restraining order too.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 12:54 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

•                     

Link

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 12:55 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:56 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• I don't think so. I don't think the tuition has anything to do with it. Is she passing classes, etc. Of course if she was struggling it was likely due to the emotional strain of being harassed by her own parents.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:00 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• Well, if her parents were doing what she claimed, sorry but she doesn't owe them anything. She's 21, and her mother would watch her sleep on Skype? I mean, come on! Now, of course they're going to claim they didn't do it and demand a refund - crazy people don't admit they're crazy. Granted, she could be a good actor and lying about it all, but...I don't know. Seems pretty extreme to me, especially since they could (and probably have/will) cut off any further support and she'll be entirely on her own now.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:02 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• I was on the parents side until I got to the part were they'd installed monitoring software on her computer and her phone.  

No she shouldn't have to pay them back since they went way overboard  It isn't reasonable for the girl to have known  when she  accepted the money that her parents would go to these extremes,  even if they had always been over protective.  Their actions were beyond reason.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:02 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• I was unaware of any law that says you are responsible for a child after 18.
    In my opinion she should not have to pay back the money already spent, however she should be cut loose to pay all her own expenses for the court filing on. That is just my opinion.

I do think the parents are over the top, but having had a child that I paid dorm room fees and food and was unaware that she did not live in the dorm but for 2 weeks of the year I paid and just used it as a storage area. One who did not attend classes better than half the time and asked for and received additional funds for allergy shots on campus that she never took, I can also see their point.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:04 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• Parents do NOT owe their children a college education. If she felt they were a bother, she should have cut ties with them and found a way to do it herself. Then she wouldn't have had this problem.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:06 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• I can understand not having to pay them back, but from now she needs to pay her own way.
    texasgurl33

Comment by texasgurl33 (original poster) at 1:17 PM on Dec. 28, 2012