• In the Spotlight:

Do I REALLY need to go to the hospital for this?

I called my OB, which is an our away from us, to ask if she could prescribe me soemthing for what I think is a UTI or maybe a Yeast infection... She asked my syptoms, which are frequent urination, some burning and pinching pain when not urinating. Well, she tells me to come in. I have a two year old, my Hubby is at work and she is an hour away! So, there is another hospital close by but I don't know if I should go in or not. Also, if I do go into the ER, I'm scared they will want a clean catch and cath me! So... what to do? All I want are meds but she won't do it unless I get seen....ugh.. I'm 33 weeks btw.

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 6:03 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I wouldn't mess with an infection if you're prego, or any other time for that matter. I would go if she told you to go.
    Anonymous

• Yes, because they can't just prescribe meds over the phone just by you giving them symptoms. They will test your urine to be sure.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 6:07 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Christine- actually she said she could IF I wasn't pregnant, she wants to make sure I get the right meds since I am.... otherwise she could tell me what to get over the counter
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 6:07 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• shucks I would just go tomorrow when planned,
    racingmomma

Answer by racingmomma at 6:08 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• you def. need to see your doctor. they need to check on that afap. if its an infection then its possible that you wont be allowed to give normal birth (if its an infection and you will still have it when youre ready to give birth).

i had an infection since i was 6months along. if i would have given normal birth then i would have infected my baby. so i had a scheduled c-section. :(

good luck
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:10 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I have to have a c-section anyways.... boo!!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 6:11 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I'm not sure why they would cath you if you can pee yourself. I had a uti when I was pregnant and my ob told me to go to the hosptial lab, it was a weekend, pee in a cup, and he'd get back to me w results. Ask about that or if you can pee into a sterile / clean glass jar at home and take it to the hospital lab. Hardly any doc will med over the phone w/o seeing thepatient. Especialy a preggers one. When I was seven mos in my third preg I thought I had bronchi. my ob was also an hour away and so was my hosp. So I just went in to the e r and saw the e r doctor myself. Well as soon as he saw how pregnant I was he jumped back like he saw a boa constrictor fgs and told me to go through my ob that no way in he&& was he gonna med me being pregnant!! SO frustrating!! Call again and see what other options are say you can't get a sitter and it's raining or snowing or something and hubby can't get home. Feel better!
    Anonymous

• I'm surprised any Dr .would do that pregnant or not, but since you are I would go in. I know it will be a pain in the a** but it's for the best. With your insurance are you able to go to an Urgent Care Center?

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 6:12 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• christine- The docs are really good where i go but I do understand now, since I'm pregnant. I don't have an urgent care place... the nearest hospital is only a mile away. Will I be seen by L&D or will they just keep me in the ER?
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 6:15 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• OK. I'm really not sure where you would go. I would think L&D but I really don't know how these hospitals and Dr's work. They all are so different ya know? I think if they had you go to ER you will be there forever.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 6:19 PM on Feb. 12, 2009