Hobby Lobby is bracing for a $1.3 million a day fine beginning January 1

They are refusing to provide the multi-faith and non-faith employees of their commercial business with insurance that they feel is counter to the non-denominational doctrine of the owner of the company.  In other words, they are going to pay over a million dollars a day in a tantrum to force their religion on their employees.

Their emergency appeal to be exempted until the SCOTUS is done with, the issue was denied, on grounds that they can't demonstrate a single right that is being violated by the law.

So bottom line - this law has a million flaws, but violating it won't make it go away, and arguing it on religious grounds (when courts have repeatedly said it doesn't violate the 1st amendment) rather than economic (where multiple courts have taken issue with it) is stupid.  Is it worth mistreating employees who will eventually be fired due to this and potentially destroying your entire brand to tilt at this particular windmill?  Twenty years from now, will anyone remember Hobby Lobby for standing up for their non-denominational faith, or will remember them for exploiting faith issues to try and get out of paying their taxes (which is what all provisions of this law are, ultimately - they are taxes, enforced by the IRS)?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 5:52 PM on Dec. 28, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• Maaaaan I don't want to lose Hobby Lobby. I really LIKE Hobby Lobby. :( Other groups have gotten exemptions (did I hear McDonalds did?) so why not them?
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:57 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• It's completely NOT worth it. Further, the fact that they take issue with something that only affect their female employees makes them appear misogynistic and out of touch (regardless of the truth behind their protests).

You're right; economically it's a flawed law that doesn't even fully go into effect until 2014. Why not use this year to fight it on economic grounds (which, as you say, have some merit)? The only thing I can think of is that they don't WANT to fight it on economic grounds; they want to martyr themselves
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 5:59 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• so why not them?

McDonald's isn't lying about their 1st amendment rights being violated. Hobby Lobby can't make the economic case, so they're going with the religion lie instead.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 6:05 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• I think if they go out of business it was their choice.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:37 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• David Green, one of the world’s richest men and the founder and chief executive of Hobby Lobby, the privately held arts and crafts supply business, recently filed a lawsuit – along with fellow plaintiffs David Green, Barbara Green, Steve Green, Mart Green and Darsee Lett -- in U.S. District Court in Oklahoma City “challenging a mandate in the nation's health care overhaul law"
    Wow, very nice christians. These are the people the GOP are defending. Save the tax rates for the top 1%, who cares what happens to you.

Anonymous

• I think you have missed the point of Hobby Lobby's objection to this law. It is the same as the Catholic church's. It is a bad law and it is going to affect every person who lives in the United States of America. My husband and I went out to lunch today to a place where we go frequently. The prices have jumped incredibly since the last time we were there. Want to know the reason? They have to try to pay for the increases in health insurance for their employees. They aren't going to be able to. Nobody is going to be able to. Which is the whole idea! We will end up with a single payer system like all the other Socialist countries and nobody is going to have healthcare. And tons of businesses and restaurants are going to be shutting down because they will not be able to afford the insurance nor the fines for not providing it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:47 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• I liked Hobby Lobby Too. I am mad they are like that. Makes me not want to buy anything from them again.

Answer by louise2 at 6:48 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• So let them shut down! People deserve health care. It's not going away, get over it!

I'm a catholic and the church is wrong.
    Anonymous

• I think you have missed the point of Hobby Lobby's objection to this law. It is the same as the Catholic church's

No, I think you've missed the point of the 1st amendment.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 6:52 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• Which reminds me....can someone please explain to me the difference between Hobby Lobby and Michael's? I saw a few people on FB RAVING about the place but when I looked it up....it looked just like Michael's. What's the difference?
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 6:53 PM on Dec. 28, 2012