Are you knitworthy?

(or crochetworthy or tattingworthy or whatever hand-craft worthy)

Meaning, if someone spends hours and hours and hours of their time making you something, do you appreciate it not just for the finished object, but all the time and work that went into making it, or are you the type who just throws it in the back of the closet and wishes they had a gift card instead?

If you are not knitworthy, do you tell the crafters who make you things, or do you just keep accepting presents you have no intention of using and pretending you like them?

I've read a lot of horror stories this week- people who took blankets that between the $20 per skein wool and hours of labor would run about $800 retail (if the knitter was paid min wage) and used them to wipe their dog's muddy feet. People who've turned around and given a wedding gift made with $200/skein qiviut to their kids to play with. Though I think the saddest was the husband who yelled at his wife for embarrassing him by giving his mother a handmade sweater instead of buying one at walmart.

I don't think most people who don't appreciate handcrafting skills fall in those extremes, but it does make me think twice about some of the projects I have planned for the next year.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:14 PM on Dec. 28, 2012 in Just for Fun

• A handknit/crochet item is a work of art! I have the boys baby blankets, afghans, sweaters, eyc made by grandmas, aunts etc saved.... Ill never get rid of them....
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 7:22 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• I have been trying to relearn how to crochet...slowly....I LOVE the scrubbies my grandma sends me every year. In fact it is teh one gift I look forward to. I love handmade gifts.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:23 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• Well, considering I can spend months making costumes and accessories to go with them, I understand how much work (and sometimes huge amounts of money) can go into handmade items. I certainly appreciate them. My mil make gorgeous afghans and quilts that we have even from when the kids were newborns. The Christmas stockings the kids have are knit and have their names on them. So much time was taken to make those, I am always very careful with them.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:36 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• I know what goes into those types of projects, lots of blood, sweat and tears. I cherish them. My daughter is very crafty and is just learning how to knit. I wish I knew.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:36 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• No. I suck!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:37 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• I most definitely appreciate hand crafted items.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:38 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• A doll with an outfit my sit knitted for me over 25 yrs ago sit on top of the armoire still. All the afghans and throws have memories from those who made them. My Mom just passed in September, I treasure those gifts from her very much. When my sister made my doll outfit she made one for my little sister as well. She was heartbroken to find it at a Goodwill a few weeks later with her 'Made with Love by her name" She has never made anything else for her again. My sister knots and crochets gifts because she lives on a squeaky tight budget.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:41 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• I use to crochet. Not any more.

Answer by louise2 at 7:57 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• I know what you mean NP. I love to knit. I only knit for my grandkids and family members.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 8:20 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• My aunt used to knit me a sweater every Christmas when I was a kid - I loved those! And I still have some of the ones she gave me when I was a teen, if I lose a bit of weight, I can still wear them. My favorite was an orange one, and I usually hate orange. lol

I have afghans and baby blankets that my grandmother, aunt, a friend and a co-worker knitted for my kids, as well as an afghan my grandma knitted for me. I treasure those things, because I know they put so much time and effort into those things. In fact, I have one blanket a co-worker made for my oldest that she embroidered his full name on - so when I got divorced and changed my sons' last names to my maiden name, I felt guilty that she'd done all that and I changed his name! lol
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:42 PM on Dec. 28, 2012