I wonder what they'll blame on secularists, next. Acne? Bloating and gas?

It was bad enough when people like Huckabee and Dobson blamed secularists for the gun violence that's been plaguing our country, but now, it seems, this Catholic wants to blame the entire sinking economy on secularism.

He seems to think that the threat of hell and the promise of heaven are what we're lacking most in achieving financial security.

For realz.

SMH.

I suppose someone is going to ask what the question is for debate.  How about this:  Let's debate the notion that without religion, people are incapable of making rational and beneficial decisions for the betterment of self and mankind.

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 8:04 PM on Dec. 28, 2012 in Religious Debate

• Of course the suicide bombers are not carrying out the will of their god or any god.  But they believe they are.  They are convinced that it is the will of their god, and that there is a reward for them.  Why else would someone annihilate him- or herself?  Is there any other reason they would choose such a method of destruction that also involves destroying themselves?  They are promised a better life after death.  That is what compels them to such drastic measures.  It's insanity, to be sure, but it's brought on by religious zeal.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 10:59 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• It is narcissism plain and simple, people on average do not care for others they think only of themselves and what they have or don't have. They don't care how their actions or their mouths or opinions affect anyone else.  They want total acceptance even if what they are doing or saying is wrong or not good.  Regardless of their religious beliefs or lack there of.  Narcissism does not discriminate against anything it affects all people from all walks of life and of all ages.  We live in a selfish society, where I will tell you where you are wrong but don't you dare tell me that I am wrong.  From Hollywood to Politics, to housewives, murders, criminals, teens.  Selfishness runs rampant in our society and it is ONLY getting worse.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• Do you really believe the suicide bombers are carrying out the will of their God?
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:11 AM on Jan. 2, 2013

• People should not get away with things because they are religious or claim its gods will.

Again there is a difference between claiming hurricane Katrina was brought on by the gays and saying a promise to make it to paradise can play a role in a child/adults become a suicide bomber.
    So to get back to the debate maybe there would be less suicide bombers without religious promises? I'm not saying there aren't crazy people who do not believe in god that might try this but we know for a fact there are plenty of religious follows who do do this.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 1:56 PM on Dec. 30, 2012

• Disagree that there is truth behind the claim-its more finger pointing to me-many would argue that its not religion, but using religion as an excuse that is to blame- same thing with blaming the lack of religion for the lack of morals, etc... it just does not ring true- we are responsible for what we do, individually and as a society-to generalize is to ignore that simple fact-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 1:34 PM on Dec. 30, 2012

• When there is truth behind an claim blame is not unproductive. When you find the motive behind a crime you them find ways to fight against the same thing happening over and over. Will we be able to control everything no but with truth you can move forward and try. With ignorant lies you run around like a chicken with its head cut off. So saying god had children shot to get back in school is placing blame in the wrong area. Finding out why it truly happened helps us figure out how to not let it happen again. No one can be held accountable for their actions if they were not blamed for a crime first.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 12:12 PM on Dec. 30, 2012

• The blame game is unproductive regardless of who is blaming who-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:41 AM on Dec. 30, 2012

• I think theirs a difference between blaming a lack of a specific god in our country and those who apples him as a reason for all of this blood shed. I've never seen an atheist claim religion is a reason for hurricane Katrina, the earthquake in Hattie. I feel there is more truth in a statement that religion has done a lot of harm to humanity whether is was do e by someone who truly believed they were starting a war, flying into a building ext for god or just using religion to hid behind their actions. Than saying because god is not in our school children got shot. IMO there's a difference between factual statements and just dumbass ones.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 11:24 AM on Dec. 30, 2012

• And don't secularists blame all the bad things in the world on religion? If I had a dollar for every time I've seen a secularist or Atheist claim the world would be better without religion because look at all the awful things religion has done, I'd be in Disney now. It goes both ways, people blame "them" because it's easier and safer.
    I don't really blame one factor for everything. I wish life was as simple as that, it's much more complicated.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 12:28 AM on Dec. 30, 2012

• I do not believe its a lack of religion, but a lack of humanity in general that we are struggling with right now in the US. I think people confuse the two because for some, their humanity is linked to their religious beliefs and they fail to understand or acknowledge that others get their humanity from some place other than religion.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 2:07 PM on Dec. 29, 2012