Having second thoughts about the iud "Mirena"

I plan on getting Mirena after my next period. I already have it ordered and everything. Now, I have been reading about all of this horrible stuff that has been happened to women. Advice please.

Maddoxs_Mommy12

Asked by Maddoxs_Mommy12 at 10:48 PM on Dec. 28, 2012 in Health

• No personal experience, but I found out earlier this week that SIL got pregnant with it and they never did find the thing (baby is 4 months old - mirena didn't show up in ultrasounds, at birth, in a ct scan, or anything). I wouldn't choose it!
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 10:50 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• I can't believe there haven't been a billion lawsuits with this yet. I don't know of any success stories with Mirena, and when things go wrong with it, they go wrong in a big way.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:53 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• IUDivas- the good, the bad and the ugly

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:55 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• No experience with it. I would imagine the horror stories are like with most everything else, a small percentage. That leaves you to wonder if you are at a higher risk for complications and that is something only you and your doctor can decide. There is no way for us to know all your medical history and then to have the knowledge to guide you. I do suggest you do research on the net and write down some questions that you would like ansered by the doctor when you go for your appointment. Be sure to give any backgrounds on family member, such as miscarriages or fibroids or cancer. Do not hold back anything in order to get the best advice your doctor can give.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:59 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• I had it for a year. I started getting heart palpitations and spoke to many other women who had the same problem. I also could not lose weight no matter how hard I tried. I also bled almost constantly, if only a little at a time. I made the decision to have it taken out, and my period returned gradually to normal over 3-5 months, my heart palpitations improved, and I lost 30 lbs over the next 4 months. I felt so much better after having it taken out!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:02 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• I had it for two months. I never stopped bleeding nor cramping. I developed an infection and had to go to ER, they removed it there. It was awful and I will NEVER recommend it.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:08 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• I've had mine for 2.5 years. My periods are very light, but I do still get them regularly. I haven't experienced any pain with it, like I did with Paraguard (got preggo with that one, too). I do still have some weight to lose, but it's less than 10lbs and I haven't been trying to lose it or anything.
    Like dardenella said, though, talk to your doctor, read the stats, and make an informed decision.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 11:11 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• I have heard so many horrible things on it. Plus my sister had one and never stopped bleeding and her insides attached to it.

staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:25 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• I had mine for over 3 years with absolutely no problems. I only removed it because my relationship ended. I actually loved it! No periods, no worrying about sex, just checked the strings once a month. That being said, everybody reacts differently to birth control. The pill made me break out something awful. Hope you make the right choice for you!
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 11:25 PM on Dec. 28, 2012

• I will just say that it was the biggest mistake of my life and I would never, ever go through that again. Some women use it with no horrible side effects, but I've never met any that didn't end up suffering because of that POS.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 7:41 AM on Dec. 29, 2012