Question about nebulizers...

My 13 year old son was put on nebulizer treatments due to complication of the flu. He has three treatments today and is needing them every three hours.

So my question is... are they supposed to make him cough more? He is fine until he gets the treatment and then coughs like crazy. Is that normal?

He was also put on an antibiotic to rule out pneumonia.

We just have never dealt with breathing problems before and it is freaking me out.

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 1:08 AM on Dec. 29, 2012 in Kids' Health

• They always made me cough. It is supposed to help clear the passages and that sometimes means coughing it up.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:42 AM on Dec. 29, 2012

• my dd (5.5yo) has to use one almost every time she gets sick with a cold/cough because she gets very wheezy. It sometimes makes her cough more initially but then it helps open up her airways and she breathes easier and can sleep. Is your son able to breathe normally after using the nebulizer for 5 or so minutes or does it make him cough continually while using it and afterwards? I'm so sorry you're dealing with the flu and breathing treatments in your house. We've all been sick with a horrible cold/cough virus that i'm pretty sure has turned into Bronchitis for me at least and probably oldest dd and dh as well :( THANKFULLY my younger dd (the 5yo) is finally getting better and only coughs a little bit at bedtime or during the night. Haven't had to do any breathing treatments in about 2 weeks, but it was daily there for a week or so :(
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 2:01 AM on Dec. 29, 2012

• Yes absolutely. It's actually dilating this bronchi so that air can actually get in. When he coughs, those are actually bursting back open....

Nebs can make him cough, get sputum up more easily, and make him shaky. It's all very normal.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:25 AM on Dec. 29, 2012