To put an addition on or not?

My husband and i are considering buying a home. The house is 587 sq. feet. Too small for us personally but it will be ours and we pay way too much in rent. Im wondering how much an addition costs. Just up to finished sheet rock. NOT the floors or paint. Just the framing and the sheet rock insalation and things. If you had an adition put on how big is it? How much did it cost? Do you have pics. Im trying to talk my hubby into it. PLEASE HELP.......THANKS

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:18 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I don't have any advice, but you can find free bidders out there that would give you a quote

GOOD LUCK~ Sometimes they even work that into your loan, before its closed.
    racingmomma

Answer by racingmomma at 6:28 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• it is hard to say what the cost of an addition would be. There are so many factors including where you live and what kind of work would need to be done and on and on.

I would budget $120/sqft plus floor coverings etc. and bathrooms and kitches are lots more.
    Anonymous

• It depends on where you live. In Northern NJ, before the economy tanked an addition ran $175 - $200 per square foot. If you live in a high cost of living area, it could still be around that. In lower cost of living areas, its probably considerably less.
    Anonymous