Leaving Out Some Children

I have a stepson and 2 toddler girls. I'm a little upset about the way my girls are being treated by my husband's family. First of all, most of them haven't met my 1 year old. My father-in-law didn't even meet her until she was 9 months old. They live 10 minutes from us. Now, it's Christmas time. Their side of the family has a get together after Christmas. I was told that 2 family member's bought gift's for my stepson and not the girl's. I'm outraged! These are their family members, too! My family, who is not blood related to my stepson, went out of their way to buy him nice gifts for Christmas. They would NEVER think of leaving him out! Meanwhile, this is my daughter's family and they don't include them. I'm furious! How do I handle the situation? I'm speechless!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Dec. 29, 2012 in Holidays

• Ignore them. Don't go. Tell your husband to talk to HIS family and make sure ALL your kids are treated the same.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:31 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• Yes, ignore them. Its very immature of them to do something like that and to take it out on the kids that don't have nothing to do with the grown up issues. Im sure that with yours and your husbands love will be more than enough for your kids.
    Star88

Answer by Star88 at 12:45 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• So you are the second wife? Are both your DD's your DH's children?
    For some reason some families do not like the second wife. I have a SIL my DH's family does not like because of the way they got together. She was an affair.

Answer by louise2 at 12:49 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• I'm the first wife. DH had his son young and they weren't married. THey loathe her! Both DD's are DH's daughters. I don't get it! It's not even about the gifts, but the fact that they just don't even include them!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:53 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• well since all three are his kids, I find this odd and have no answer other than putting your foot down an informing if you dont do for all, dont do for any.

As an adopted child and my parents having bio's as well, one side of the family did not accept us but my dad told them until we were all treated equal they would see none of us, it worked and we all got very close!
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 1:01 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• That's Bizarre! Do the people who bought your Stepson a gift actually know you had two more kids? My Uncle just recently acknowledged my 6 year old & my 16 month old in the Christmas card he sent this year. All the past years he only mentioned our BIRD! LOL! He's old. Are they older? Maybe they forgot? Do you buy gifts for their kids? I just don't get it.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:09 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• One is DH's sister and the other is his AUnt who buys gifts for all of the children in the family. They have a get together just so she can hand out her gifts to the kids. So why were my girl's the only one's left out? It really makes no sense!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:14 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• did you ask her? I sure would have
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 1:49 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• Did you actually ask them why? Would be a good way to find out.
    Have they always acted like this. Has your DH talked to them about it?

Answer by louise2 at 2:07 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• I won't ask them why because I don't want to seem like I'm causing any unnecessary problems. I usually just keep things to myself. I did mention it to my husband. He said that if they are going to leave the girl's out, then they don't need to be included in anything we do. This doesn't make me feel any better. As they get older, they'll notice that their brother is treated differently by that family. I just don't know the right way to handle the situation.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:44 PM on Dec. 30, 2012