Do you agree or disagree with this statement? "Spanking only teaches it's okay to hit other people"

why or why not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Dec. 29, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• Disagree. There are plenty of people who were brought up with the occasional spankings & turned out just fine. Many who are non- violent, down to Earth, morally sound people.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:48 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• No, that's the rationalization of people who were either truly abused and unable to distinguish abuse from spanking, or were never spanked and are unable to distinguish spanking from real abuse.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:52 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• I actually did a poll on this in grad school. I asked people whether or not they were spanked as a child. If they said "yes" I then asked if they thought it was OK to hit others. 100% of the people laughed and said "No".
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:47 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• Nope, I was spanked but I dont go around hitting people
    I think the lack there of is half of the kids problems today
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 1:14 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• *Sigh*
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 1:04 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• Well, I was spanked as a child and as an adult I know it's wrong to hit other people. However, I have lightly spanked my daughter a few times now and she has also hit me a few times. She treats me the way I treat her...she learned to hit from me...she rationalizes that if I can do it to her she can do it to me. So, for that reason, I try to steer away from physical punishment and teach her in other ways.
    Ludvik_Smith

Answer by Ludvik_Smith at 1:04 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• I was spank as a child also and have no problems with it. It teaches a child that there are consequences for their actions. I spanked my girls and strangers tell me all the time what wonderful, sweet and respectful girls they are.

vampporcupine

Answer by vampporcupine at 1:06 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

•      I was spanked as a child and I turned out ok. I very rarely spank my kids, they get time outs a lot, but I made sure to Never smack the hand or butt when I was hit, since I thought it made zero sense to spank a child to teach them that hitting was not ok.

I want some one to take a poll on how many mass shootings there were back when it was OK for the teacher to whack the kids across the hand with a ruler and it wasn't child abuse for spanking a child versus how many mass shootings there are now that we arent allowed to dicipline our kids.

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:22 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• I think it 100% depends on
    a) the adult's definition of a spanking ( hitting out of anger or done when calm and after a discussion creating a learning experience)
    b) how often spanking occurs ( is it for every little offense or is is a 'last resort)
    c) the child's personality ( is the child able to understand a spanking and is it something that will work for that child)
    There is a huge difference in swatting your child as you are yelling and hitting them harder than you mean to and waiting until you are both calm and able to discuss the matter before or after the spanking. I also think that a spanking for every little thing the child does is not going to be effective- though I do not believe it would be abuse either (If not done out of anger) and as far as personality of the child- some kids just don't need to be spanked to get the point across- some it works wonders- some it means nothing at all to them...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:21 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• Disagree as long as it's reasonable, I believe spanking works.
    hatagaj

Answer by hatagaj at 12:57 PM on Dec. 29, 2012