Planning a trip to New Orleans

Any suggestions on places to see things to do and places to eat? Also I'm really wanting to explore the hauntings I found a bed and breakfast that "haunted" I might stay a night any other suggestions? Thanks :)

skinnyslokita

Asked by skinnyslokita at 1:33 PM on Dec. 29, 2012 in Travel

• Do NOT stay at the French Market Inn on Decatur St. It was the pits! We stayed there once, GROSS! Then we stayed at the Sheraton on Canal St. A short walk across the street to the French Quarter. It was very nice! Then we stayed once at the Place d'Armes Hotel in the quarter which was very nice too. Have beignets at Cafe Du Monde  & cofee to die for! , Take the Riverboat ride, go to the aquarium, visit the potions shops, take some haunted history tours at night! Just be careful walking at night. Don't walk down a street at night where there is no one else around. We were almost mugged returning to our Hotel one night. I told the guy I was going to puke on him if he didn't get away from us. He ran! Have fun!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:46 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• My brother and I are looking to go there this summer. I'll have to check this post again to see if there are any more suggestions!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 2:48 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• I have only been there once for a conference before Katrina and agree with everything love Paulie said'
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:04 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• Do NOT stay at the embassy suites in down town! It is old, nasty and just basically not a great hotel to stay at!
    My husband is from NOLA - we go there every 6 months or so to get a fix :)
    Must go to the french market! It's wild and crazy and filled with things you may or may not want to buy but it's fun.
    The Audoban Zoo - a must! The Aquarium so huge and beautiful. Like the night life you have all the bars and jazz you can enjoy! But be careful, it's filled with crazies out there too! French quarter is a must as well as Harrahs if you like to gamble.
    A must - Cafe du monde! You can't go there without trying the beignets and cafe au lait - a true experience!
    Another Must - Roast beef po-boys - DRESSED! You will be smacking your lips and your husband it's so good!
    Red Beans and rice, gumbo - it's an awesome experience!
    You really want the NOLA experience - go during mardi gras - Oh la la Laissez les bonne temps roulez!
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 3:32 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• I like the French Market, but there is one street families with children shouldn't go on, because it's nothing but adult entertainment. The name of the street is Bourbon St. The aquarium is very nice. You can find lots of good restaurants in New Orleans. I love the restaurants in New Orleans.
    Diamond2010

Answer by Diamond2010 at 12:28 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• I would love to do the spooky side of New Orleans tour - if there is one.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 3:59 PM on Feb. 19, 2013