Would you say something to them?

My step kids were not going to buy gifts for my kids (their brother & sister ) same father. It just made me sad but dad told them they better come over with some candy or something!!!

I am hurt bc everything their name is brought up my kids are like yay! Jennifer is coming or or Michael is coming over I mean those are their big brother and sister. They get so excited and for them to not bring anything for Christmas it makes me want to cry.

Would you mention to the kids that their siblings weren't going to bring them anything if it wasn't for their dad? My kids are (ds11 & dd9) and they are sd21 & ss18.

Still venting from my last post :( I just feel like we are not part of their lives after all these years :(

Thanks Ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Dec. 29, 2012 in Relationships

• Here's my take & I may be wrong & it doesn't apply to every older kid. BUT the majority of young people are very entitled & self centered today. It's like "Life is all about me". "What can everyone do for me?, the world revolves around ME!" Therefore they cannot see past their own nose & be kind to others. This is a very different generation then when I grew up. It wasn't all about US. So they probably don't even realize how self centered they really are. So, maybe I would mention something to them directly prior to a future Birthday or Holiday to REMIND them. They can even go to the Drug Store on the way to your house & pick up a stuffed animal for the children. So keep it in mind for either you or your DH to remind them to be thoughtful. Maybe they'll learn something too!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• I would not tell them that their siblings are not going to bring them a gift. It should be left to them to tell them if the children should ask if they have anything for them. And if they are always excited to see them, the younger ones may not ask about gifts, and may just bask in the happiness of seeing their older siblings.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:07 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• Sorry, I still think you are behaving selfishly, expecting 21 & 18 yr olds to buy presents and, that they can't come over if they don't. If it bothers you that much, your DH can buy presents for his kids to give to your kids, geeze.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:15 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• Truthfull you can not force the step kids you buy your kids gifts. But you can not invite them over for the holidays.

Answer by louise2 at 2:09 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• @ Louise2
    HA!!! My dh would have a fit if I were to act a fool like that, but thx anyway ;)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:11 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• Act a fool like that?!!! What do you mean by that?!!!!

Your kids do not need to know your Step kids didn't want to buy them anything.

Answer by louise2 at 2:16 PM on Dec. 29, 2012