Is there a Dr, Nurse or pharm. in the house?

I have a sinus infection. Facial pressure, head ache, snotty nose ( green) and even pressure in my teeth and jaw. I have about 6 days worth of Doxycicline I never finished a few months back for a bacterial skin infection. I don ot have the money to go to the Dr right this minute. Is it possible teh Doxy could work? I know certain drugs are best suited for certain infections. Google seems to go both ways on it as far as suitability for treating a sinus infection. I of course plan to go to the dr as soon as I can afford it if it doesn't clear it up. (2 weeks when I get paid and have less bills) thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Dec. 29, 2012 in Health

• I wouldn't. Aside from the fact that it's old, possibly no good anymore, if it's not the right thing to treat it, it won't do any good and could make things worse.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 3:00 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• It's still good for another 4 months.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:02 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• You could call a nurse line or call the pharmacy and ask.

I would say it depends on if doxycycline kills sinus infections and if a 6 day supply is enough to do it- I am betting you'd need a few more doses.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:02 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• When you start an antibiotic you should finish it. When you start taking it, even if the symptoms are gone, the Dr puts you on it for a certain length of time to make sure it doesn't return. If you continue to do this, over time you will build up a resistance to the antibiotic, and none will work for you. It's a dangerous thing to get in the habit of.
    Also some antibiotics are made for certain infections, and aren't strong enough to treat it. You should really call your Dr, explain the situation, and maybe you can get a 4.00 script at Walmart, or your local pharmacy. Sometimes they're free too, depending on the type you're prescribed. GL Hope you're feeling better soon.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:06 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• I do normally finish my antibiotics- we had moved and I lost the bottle. I should have had it replaced but I never did then I came across it the other day in a box of Christmas stuff (?) and put it in the medicine drawer.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:11 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• I wouldn't. First, it has likely lost some efficacy. Second, you need a full course and only your doctor would know if 3, 7 or 10 day is appropriate.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:13 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• If it's not a full course of the meds it will only half kill the infection (assuming it's the right medication for your specific infection), then the bacteria will come back with a vengeance. Your a fool if you take this medication for anything other then it was prescribed for, any pharmacist will tell you that.

You'd be better off going out and getting a Netti Pot and using that until you can get to the doc in the next few days. Untreated infections can cause serious issues, especially in the sinuses. You don't want to have to get those scraped do you??
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:14 PM on Dec. 29, 2012