Has anyone applied the "Ferber Method" or others? (sleep theories)

What were your routines like? how long did it take? how old was your baby when he/she started to sleep through the night?

My 4 month old has slept through the night randomly about 5-7 times. (Ironically these were the nights when I gave up and let him stay up with me until he passed out around midnight)

I am trying to be consistant with his routine.
BUT- sometimes I fall victim to desperate times/ bad habits (ie using the swing, nursing to sleep..etc)

What can I do to encourage him to sleep through the night?
experiences adn hopefully advice!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:23 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I just had a firm routine and when he cried I would let him know I was there give him his pacifier and let him be. I did not go to him as soon as he started crying I would wait 5 min. and then come in and give him the pacifier. If your baby is not hunger or dirty and is just wanting held then its okay to let them fuss a little before falling asleep. It should not take but a night or two for the baby to figure it out. And it will be a long two days but is worth it in the end. My son is 2 and at nap time we go to his room I tell him he can play but then he needs take a nap and I shut the door, he is usually asleep in 10 min. on his own. At bedtime we walk in his room say prayers he climbs in bed we give kisses and I walk out a close the door, and hes asleep in 10 min. It is wonderful. No fussing and extra time with the hubby because he's not in our bed and we are not fighting with him. But you have to start early.
    lovemlotz

Answer by lovemlotz at 7:03 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• No, I do not agree with ferberizing. I let my baby sleep with us, she is 10 months old. We have a bedtime routine. Book, bath and rocking. I don't do CIO either. That is the way I like to parent. You should do what is best for you and your family. If you feel like CIO (cry it out) is best for you and your family then do that.
    passionmom119

Answer by passionmom119 at 6:37 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• A routine is most important.
    passionmom119

Answer by passionmom119 at 6:38 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I know there are a lot of things and doctors saying that it's bad to nurse your baby to sleep, but if it works and you get your much needed rest, then do it! She slept SO much better that way, usually about six hours a night. I nursed her to sleep until she was about eight months then started nursing right before I laid her down so she was drowsy. If she started crying after I laid her down I would give her a binki and rub her back till she fell asleep. Now, she is 11 mo, I can lay her down without having to nurse first and rarely have to rub her back. It took about 1 1/2 weeks for her to fully adjust to the new way of going to sleep and she sleeps for about ten hours a night. Hope this helps!
    Kaityluv08

Answer by Kaityluv08 at 6:49 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• my daughter is 8 months old and she tosses and cries all night long!!! i read at aap.com which is american academy of pediatrics web site you shoudnt use ferber until they are between 12-18 mos!!! i tried to let my daughter cry but i feel so guily so i pick her up and put her in our bed!! go too aap.com there are alot of websites to help and i am still trying to find and answer to my daughters sleep habits!!!!
    JENSTOP

Answer by JENSTOP at 6:54 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• i tried ferberizing and it works i guess, but i mean its not much of a method, just kinda common sense when nothing else works, you know? like i know its supposed to be three nights according to everyone that talked to me about it but it ended up being like just after a while he got used to it, some nights are harder for him than others. the one thing that i did notice right away is the routine IS pretty important. if we dont do the whole calming down process with my son like reading a book and bathtime and all it seems like hes not quite ready for bed. good luck! =)
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 7:08 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Did you know Ferber has recanted his theories? He says he is sorry for the mental distress he has caused to so many children. I am going to try to find the article.

Also, letting your baby cry isn't a method to get them to sleep. It is teaching them that they may as well give up becuase mommy is not coming to help, so so so sad in my opinion.

And my qualms are not about if it works or not, it is about parents being able to do this to their children without commiting suicide in the other room. Your baby is only a baby.

AND, what do you expect from a 4 month old?? For God's sake she has been alive for such a short time and is already expected to act like an adult.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 7:12 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Here is an exerpt, apparently you have to buy an issue of The New Yorker to get the full article.

Dr. Ferber says "I wish I would not have written those words", talking about anti-co-sleeping.

He says cosleeping is not wrong if that's what you want to do.

http://www.intuitiveparenting.org/ferber.html

Looking for better info ....
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 7:16 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Ferber himself has said not to use his method before six months.

Yours is a very normal baby...they're not designed to sleep more than a couple of hours at a time. They CAN...but nothing you do will MAKE them do so.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:19 PM on Feb. 12, 2009