Why does god allow foolish men persuade him?

Ive read these stories before but it amazes me how retreading them it looks so different. How simple men can change gods mind. If you want to read numbers 14 go ahead I'll just throw in a few verses. Israel rebelled and god said this... 11 The Lord said to Moses, “How long will these people treat me with contempt? How long will they refuse to believe in me, in spite of all the signs I have performed among them? 12 I will strike them down with a plague and destroy them, but I will make you into a nation greater and stronger than they.”

then Moses replies ith this... 13 Moses said to the Lord, “Then the Egyptians will hear about it! By your power you brought these people up from among them. 14 And they will tell the inhabitants of this land about it. They have already heard that you, Lord, are with these people and that you, Lord, have been seen face to face, that your cloud stays over them, and that you go before them in a pillar of cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night. 15 If you put all these people to death, leaving none alive, the nations who have heard this report about you will say, 16 ‘The Lord was not able to bring these people into the land he promised them on oath, so he slaughtered them in the wilderness.’

Well god forgives them but still punishes them but not with genocide. My question is how does this happen this god lets a mere human who can not begin to understand or explain his Omniscient ways talk him down, and why does the treat of what people think or say change his mind. He is godif he wants to wipe them all out why not? We can look into the story of Noah and see how he wipped out everyone so we know that's not the problem.

skinnyslokita

Asked by skinnyslokita at 3:13 PM on Dec. 29, 2012 in Religious Debate

• 3libras

Answer by 3libras at 3:15 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• And if he's all knowing, shouldn't he have known what that conversation would contain and what would come after before he started it?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:28 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• 3libras

Answer by 3libras at 3:34 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• for fun, i like to think of God (in these situations) like The Doctor from Doctor Who. he's seen more, experienced more, etc than any human yet sometimes he lets humans persuade him to let things go and not be so vengeful. but then that would make God not perfect...
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:47 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• "i like to think of God (in these situations) like The Doctor from Doctor Who"

You know... there are some people who think The Doctor is god... or rather that god is some sort of Time Lord-like being. :D
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 4:10 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• So... If He had struck, He would be a vengeful, violent G-d, but by showing mercy He's now easily persuaded by a mere mortal? It seems to me it doesn't matter what He does, it will always be wrong for some people. I understand the need to do this, but mistake #1 most people make: humanizing G-d. You're evaluating your actions based on what a human would likely do. We don't know why He knew that was the best way to act. We can make educated guesses (those educated in Scripture).
    The fact is, there are several instances in the Bible where G-d provokes a "battle of wits" with human beings. He did it to "negotiate" with Abraham the future of Sodom and Gomorrah, for example. But He only "gives in" when it's a request that will be good for us.
    Have you read Deut 3:23-27? Moses pleaded with G-d to rescind the decree that forbade him from entering the land of Israel. G-d said "no" and asked Moses to stop praying.

Cont...
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 11:59 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• He wouldn't be persuaded of it. The Talmud says that Moses prayed 515 times,but that it wouldn't be good for him to enter the land of Israel, it was the "Kapparah" (correction) his soul need to achieve perfection. G-d knew it was best for Moses not to enter and enjoy an eternity close to G-d. So G-d isn't easily persuaded when something isn't good for us.

http://www.aish.com/tp/i/moha/48929892.html
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 12:09 AM on Dec. 30, 2012

• "The problem with that is he didn't come up with this I'll spare my people idea. Moses inlightened god and after Moses told him what other nations will say about him he does a 360 and changes his mind. His actions make him seem human and not perfect. Why would god even want to challenged human wits, exspecialy if he knew the out come? What would he get out of playing little games with us?"

It's not games, it's all learning. Did you read the link I posted?
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 7:53 PM on Dec. 30, 2012

• but by showing mercy He's now easily persuaded by a mere mortal.

The problem with that is he didn't come up with this I'll spare my people idea. Moses inlightened god and after Moses told him what other nations will say about him he does a 360 and changes his mind. His actions make him seem human and not perfect. Why would god even want to challenged human wits, exspecialy if he knew the out come? What would he get out of playing little games with us?
    skinnyslokita

Comment by skinnyslokita (original poster) at 11:18 AM on Dec. 30, 2012

• Yes I did. We just see things differently.
    skinnyslokita

Comment by skinnyslokita (original poster) at 8:04 PM on Dec. 30, 2012