How can I calm a bad cough?

My four-year-old is coughing really hard and has been for a few hours. Like hard enough that she vomited once because of it. I've tried Children's Mucinex because she seems stuffed up. I've used her nebulizer that she has for asthma. She won't suck on anything like a cough drop or a peppermint. Is there anything else I can do? I've put in the call to te adice nurse that comes with her insurance, but the call volume is high, so I might not hear back for a few hours. Thanks.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 4:19 PM on Dec. 29, 2012 in Kids' Health

• Take her in the bathroom and turn on a hot shower - have her breathe in the steam for 10 minutes, give or take. Then rush straight outside (I'm hoping you live where it's cold right now anyway!) and have her breathe in the cold air for a couple of minutes. Kind of shocks the system - it's what our docs recommend.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 6:23 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• Give her a spoonful of honey to suck on. We have the same crud going on here. Hope she feels better soon. Hugs to you... it is so hard on moms when our little ones are sick.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:24 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• A hot shower, warm cider or soup. It's awful when our babies are sick. Hope the nurse calls you back soon. I always swore by Triamenic, but I haven't seen it in awhile.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 4:31 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• Children's Dimetapp can be used for 4 year olds. You could also try a children's antihistamine if you have it.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:32 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• mucinex is going to make her cough up more snot, i'd get dimetapp, that's what i use for my dd and it works great
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:48 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• I was gonna suggest Whiskey with Honey in it then saw it was for a kid. Sorry, no advice here.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 4:24 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• this recipe is better than any drug we have tried. we drink it like a tea.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 4:42 PM on Dec. 29, 2012