Legal Question (Gym Membership/training)

i joined the la fitness gym membership and i signed a contract for the trainer program and they told me that i can cancel my member ship any time i want. I cancel the membership and kept the training program cause i have a contract with the training program i made a appoitment for my kids to go and they told me that i couldn't because i cancel my membership. I had to renew my membership again just for my self this time at first it was for my 3 kids now i have 1 more month to go for the training sessions and they told me that i have to get a membership for my kids now in order to get my traning session for january 2013 these were 2 different contracts i feel like they are breaking our contract for the training program and trying to rip me off what can i do about this situation.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2012 in Diet & Fitness

• I am completely confused. Is the trainer program like a personal trainer?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• You signed two agreements... one with the gym and one for the personal trainer right... and they are saying you can't use their facility for your personal training sessions if you are not a member.... right. Well within their rights. You should have cancelled both. You can't just expect to use their facility without paying.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:26 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• Right crafty, but i don't get why the kids have to be members. Are you bringing them?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:21 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• crafty26 i could not cancel the training it is a year contract i could only cancel the gym within itself
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:21 AM on Dec. 30, 2012

• They are 2 different contracts. The gym contract allows you to cancel your membership, but it does not allow you to use their facilities if you are not a member. It's really pretty simple. If you want to make use of your training contract, then you have to sign up with the gym. They are not breaking any contract. They are simply telling you that you can't use the gym without a gym membership - the same as they would tell anyone else who came in expecting to use the facilities.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:17 AM on Dec. 30, 2012

• When you signed the agreement with LAF and then the PT, you signed 2 different agreements. In order to use the PT agreement you have to use their facility as the PTs are NOT freelancers. They are employed by LAF and legally they cannot continue to train you in that gym unless you are a member of the gym. PTs are legally bound by the gym they are employed by unless they are freelancing, which LAF PTs do not. Trainers have a lot of legalities that they must abide by.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 7:29 PM on Dec. 30, 2012