Newborn with poor weight gain

My son Marco is three weeks old tomorrow and has still not regained his birth wieght of 6lbs 15oz. He went down to 6lbs 10oz at 2 wks , at 2.5 weeks he was 6lbs 15oz, but today back down to 6lbs 14oz. I nurse him every 2.5 -3hrs unless he wants to eat sooner which is very rare. We strive for 20 mins on each breast but he stops after about 15. Ive restricted my diet to non irritating foods (removed dairy, greens, beef, eggs, wheat, soy, peanuts, chocolate, tomatoes, onions, caffeine, and anything spicy{ dairy's been gone 2 wks, everything else just one}) His Dr says if he doesn't gain more weight by Monday, we'll need to supplement with formula, which is something I really don't want to do. Anyone have any ideas how to help?

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 6:36 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Supplementing is rarely the answer. Some babies do have low weight gain, it happens. How does he appear? Lethargic, or happy?

You can take marshmallow capsules (local healthfood store) and they can help fatten your milk so to speak. Nurse more, and on one breast per feeding, ensuring he gets all the hind milk! You may want to find another pedi and get a second opinion.. but that's just me. I don't believe formula is always the answer or a solution to a problem.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:56 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Nurse more. Even if he's not that interested, rouse him up and offer.
    Anonymous

• You need to make sure he is thriving. I know you may not want to supplement, but that is what you will need to do for now to help him gain weight. It's most important that your baby eats. No matter if it's formula or breast milk. Of course, you know breast milk is best but formula will help him gain weight and give him the amount of vitamins he needs.
    passionmom119

Answer by passionmom119 at 6:41 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• hmmm. you really don't want to give your child nutrition? I know every mom (or t least we hope) wants to nurse, but if that's not enough it's better to give formula than have a dead baby on yours hands.

Think of what your child would want. If you honestly think your child is happy not getting enough to eat from your breast then keep doing what you're doing, but I would assume that every baby is more happy when they ear full.
    Anonymous

• Contact a lactation consultant. Could be bad latch, or you could even need to block feed. Docotrs are bad when it comes to breastfeeding.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:15 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• it's not like your baby wouldn't be getting the anitbodies. You could still nurse AND give formula. That's why your pedi said supplement
    Anonymous

• I would have been surprised for him to get back to birth weight so quickly, actually. And a breastfed baby gains a mere four ounces a week. Yours is gaining even faster than that.

Babies lose ten percent of birth weight. Let's have some fun with numbers, shall we?

Birth weight in ounces: 111.

Expected lowest weight: 100 ounces by the end of week one (that is "loss" week).

Two and a half week weight, back to 111 ounces. That's a LOT of gain in that period.

The one ounce difference between 21/2 weeks and 3 weeks? That can be attributed to so many things. Different scale, different time of day, whether baby just ate or pooped or peed.

Speaking of which....what's the dipe count? 6-8 per day?

This baby is NOT failing to thrive though. Not by a long shot and the doctor is wrong.

Stop by the Breastfeeding Moms Group for more help and encouragement.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:37 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• thanks for coming gdiamante,

as for anon: her baby isn't even close to being dead. Her baby isn't even malnourished or starving. Low weight gain does not = failure to thrive.. gah
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 7:41 PM on Feb. 12, 2009