It's really dead! (S/O of washer question)

I changed the part, but the washer just buzzes and smells burnt, I guess the motor is dead, too.

I have really grungy fisherman's clothes to wash. Any suggestions for a new washer that will really get the nastiest stuff clean?

tessiedawg

Asked by tessiedawg at 10:06 PM on Dec. 29, 2012 in Home & Garden

• Gosh I love that washer. I am going to get a new washer and dryer some time this year.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 2:36 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• We just bought this one, and the matching dryer.

http://www.samsung.com/us/appliances/washers-dryers/WA484DSHASU/A1

We didn't buy it on this site, we bought them at Sears.

MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:38 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• No but in the meantime maybe a run to the laundramat?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:44 AM on Dec. 30, 2012

• I did a lot of reading, reviews etc, and that set was the one I settled on because of the great reviews. What once was 4 loads of laundry is now two. I know it's a big investment, but if I'm going to use them for over a decade I want something I like to use, rather than dread.
    CNET, and Amazon are a couple good places to look for reviews on all types of washers and dryers.

There is a positive part about the laundry mat, you can throw in 4 loads, and they're done pretty quick! lol. When I had to use one yrs ago, I found a new one. At least I felt like the washers weren't all gunked up from yrs of dirty people using them...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:22 AM on Dec. 30, 2012

• I had a Maytag that would stop & smell burned. It was 3 years old. I had a local repairman 3 times, wasted more money than the machine was worth. Finally I called Maytag on the phone direct & lost control of myself! I said I had two babies who are inhaling burning wire fumes & I am going to freak out if you do not fix this! They sent a Repair Man the next day & he fixed it at no charge. It is still working fine now. Knock on wood!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:35 PM on Dec. 30, 2012

• Thanks MrsLeftlane that washer looks really great! I am hoping for something in that capacity range. But I may have to settle for something smaller, though.
    tessiedawg

Comment by tessiedawg (original poster) at 10:45 PM on Dec. 29, 2012

• Hopefully I can get one tomorrow, but if not I will be at the coin ops. Fortunately, DH isn't home with his laundry, yet, and I was pretty caught up. My mom nicely washed all of the clothes I pulled out of the washer, four loads worth!!! SD is in the dog house. : (
    tessiedawg

Comment by tessiedawg (original poster) at 1:25 AM on Dec. 30, 2012

•  

Whirlpool Cabrio Platinum 4.6 cu. ft. High-Efficiency Top Load Washer in White, Energy Star

4.4 / 5

$673.20 /EA-Each 

This is what I think we are going to get. It has a high capacity and decent reviews. And Home Depot has a 0% financing deal for a year, so  I hope I like it.

tessiedawg

Comment by tessiedawg (original poster) at 4:51 PM on Dec. 30, 2012

• Mrs Leftlane, as for the coin-ops, I feel the same way, at least I can pop in a bunch of loads at once! I will have to go to the one near the peir so they don't throw me out for washing fishing clothes, they are used to it.
    tessiedawg

Comment by tessiedawg (original poster) at 4:53 PM on Dec. 30, 2012

• I will let you know what I think of it Booklover. It will be here in a week. I hope it's good. I feel like it was an amazing value at $730 with the 3 year extra warranty, delivered and the old one hauled away, with no interest for a year to boot! (Home Depot)
    tessiedawg

Comment by tessiedawg (original poster) at 7:56 PM on Jan. 2, 2013