3 year old.woke up crying and screaming after falling asleep

It was like she didn't even know I was right there. The more I talked the louder she screamed. I was asking her if she knew where she was or who I was and it was like she wasn't even there. Freaked me the hell out. When she snapped out of it she was my sweet girl again.

Wth happened.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 12:49 AM on Dec. 30, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sounds like she had a nightmare and was having a hard time snapping out of it. Poor kiddo.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:50 AM on Dec. 30, 2012

• Classic case of a night terror. Don't try to wake them up, as you saw it doesnt work. They do not even remember what the dream was even about.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:50 AM on Dec. 30, 2012

• How long was she asleep before she had the nightmare?
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:51 AM on Dec. 30, 2012

• night terror. my DD started getting those when she was 3 and still gets them on occasion (shes 4.5). i still get them from time to time (according to DH). anyway, she doesnt remember them and its way freakier as mom than it is for the kid. all ive ever done is watch to make sure she doesnt hurt herself. sometimes it has helped for me to whisper "shhhh" softly to her.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:54 AM on Dec. 30, 2012

• She was asleep between one and two hours
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 1:04 AM on Dec. 30, 2012

• Yeah she has no memory of it. She is now awake chatting away.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 1:06 AM on Dec. 30, 2012

• Poor little angel. Glad she's over it.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 1:27 AM on Dec. 30, 2012

• It is about the right age for her to be having nightmares. It is pretty normal. It freaked me out when mine did it too.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:50 AM on Dec. 30, 2012

• My son went through the night terror phase. It was horrible. Once he woke up screaming and just started punching the headboard. He seemed okay after that and went back to sleep. Even during the day time though, he had a fear of the head board area of the bed.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:06 AM on Dec. 30, 2012

• Yep, sounds exactly like what my son has done in the past. Night terror. For the longest time I had no idea what was happening but then I did some research and discovered it is quite common and not really anything to worry about it. The child never remembers what happens. It's mostly just traumatic for us parents! It is something that they outgrow. The last time my son had one was when he was 6.
    Trajik003

Answer by Trajik003 at 2:07 AM on Dec. 30, 2012