Choosing a pediatrician

Hello all!

I'm a first-time mommy-to-be, 32 weeks along at this point and due April 13th. It might seem a bit late in the game for this now, but I need some helpful tidbits from all you experienced moms out there. This is the first time I'm faced with choosing a pediatrician for my son, and I'm really not sure what sort of questions I should be asking when I sit down with the doctors.

What I'd like to know is what sort of things you look for in a pediatrician, what questions you thought were important to ask, and any other helpful information you might have to help me make my choice. Thanks in advance, I owe you guys!

Reulia

Asked by Reulia at 6:39 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Kids' Health

• If you can find one that will sit down and talk, that's a keeper! Most will not. Ask friends and neighbors, OB nurses for recommendations. Ask about insurance, which hospitals they go to, do they bill or collect at time of visit, office and on call hours, staff (MDs, Physician assts. Nurse Practitoners?), who covers your doctor, do they seperate well and sick patients. When you see the doctor, expect time for your ?, that he likes your child and seems really interested, patient with your questions, focuses on feeding, sleeping, natural remedies and doesn't just hand you a prescription if something is wrong, is respectful of your knowledge as mommy. If you feel uncomfortable or stupid, don't go back. There are many fine practitioners out there who will love you and your baby and treat you with respect. The rest are dispensable.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 9:30 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• our local peds were in one building i just started taking him to one and decided i didnt like that one so i moved on to the next one until i found one i liked
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 6:49 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I haven't interviewed any in this area yet, we just moved, but it all depends on what is important to you.

I want a pediatrician who is vaccine friendly, we don't vaccinate and I want one who respects that decision and doesn't try and bully me into them.

I breastfeed. I want a pediatrician knowledgeable about breastfeeding and not one who will recommend formula at the first sign of issues. One who knows the growth charts are different for breastfed/formula fed babies.

I don't want one who will prescribe antibiotics at every little thing, one who will gladly encourage the use of more natural solutions.

The key is what you are comfortable with, what you want. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:53 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I started with recommendations from people that have kids and live in the area. If their kids had been seeing the doc for years, that was a great sign!
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 8:07 PM on Feb. 12, 2009