PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Hi I am new here. I have a 2 yr old todler and a month old. Everysince I got pregnant I decided That I wanted to breastfeed this child, and now after a mont I mess it up. I got sick w a virus, and someone told me th eworng idea tto stp or I can get my baby sick too, so Idid and star giving him formula. The next day I spoke to my consultant and she told me that I din't had to stop and I felt guilty that was about 4 days ago and noe my baby is not nursing as much, sometimes he refuses, my milk supply is really low, andfor the most part, he is now a "formula feed baby" . what can I do

Liz86

Asked by Liz86 at 6:39 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, you can try to offer him your milk more throughout the day. Are you pumping? Consider pumping. It's the bottle he probably likes. You can pump and put in a bottle. If you can't then give him formula. It's truly not the end of the world. You are trying, don't fault yourself.
    passionmom119

Answer by passionmom119 at 6:44 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• It is still OK. Nurse as much as possible and don't turn to the bottle. Even if your supply is low, you can pump to help increase your supply. You can nurse, wait 15 minutes or so and nurse again if that will help get the baby back into habbit.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 6:45 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Nurse all the time, always offer the breast first. Pump too! Get a pump and bottle feed to try and wean out the formula. He should go back to the breast! It may take some time, but to build your supply back up nurse, and pump!

Make sure you drink plenty of fluids, and eat oatmeal. That's suppose to help. If nothing seems to help try fenegreek and mother's milk tea!

Good luck! and now you know that you don't need to quit nursing if you are sick :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:48 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Not too late at all. Put the baby to breast! There is pretty much NO reason to ever stop nursing...unless yu're having your breasts removed. Putting your baby to breast will increase your supply all on its own.

Stop by the Breastfeeding Moms group. There's a sticky post on increasing supply.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:18 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Just pick up where you left off. Nurse ONLY. Don't make the bottle an option. He'll eat when he's hungry. He might be a little mad, but he'll get over it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:37 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Pump 15 minutes per breast every 2-4 hours after offering a breast to him. Pump out whatever he doesn't drink to stimulate your supply. You can mix whatever you pump out into the formula so he can at least bennefit from it. I would just keep practicing each time he eats with the breast until he gradually stops wanting the bottle.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:55 PM on Feb. 12, 2009