Should kids go on snowmobiles rides?

Okay so my husband and I both ride snowmobiles quite a bit. Our children are 7.5 and 5.5 years old. We take them around the yard on the snowmobiles quite a bit too. Today we decided to take them on the trail to a nearby restaurant for dinner. The ride was a total of 60 minutes one way. This restaurant is on the trail so there are a lot of snowmobilers there today since it is our first real weekend with snow this season. Well as we are enjoying our dinner I overheard a woman at a nearby table say that is was horribly irresponsible to take children out on snowmobiles and someone should call child services on us! She could see that my children were dressed appropriately for the weather and had helmets (they were on the table) and the kids were talking about how much fun they were having. She also had no idea how long or short of a distance we had riden with our children if we had gone on the trail or the road etc. So I thought I would ask what other parents think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:53 PM on Dec. 30, 2012 in General Parenting

• I have no problem withit as long as they are with a responsible adult.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:00 PM on Dec. 30, 2012

• Man we would ride on a inner tube tied to the back of a snowmobile with no helmet when we were children. You had them dressed and protected people need to mind their own business. Child abuse I'd physically, mentally abusing your child you were having fun and taking them to dinner.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 6:06 PM on Dec. 30, 2012

• I ve taken mine snowmobiling, f them
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 6:08 PM on Dec. 30, 2012

• It is fine as long as you take proper safety precautions
    Sonflower71

Answer by Sonflower71 at 6:16 PM on Dec. 30, 2012

• I have no problem with it but my dad taught me to drive a snowmobile when I was 4. I am assuming they were on the snowmobile not an inner tube and wearing appropriate cold weather gear and helmets?
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 6:18 PM on Dec. 30, 2012

• I see nothing wrong with it. My kids have ridden (oldest has driven with an adult) with adults I trust before though.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 6:32 PM on Dec. 30, 2012

• I see nothing wrong with it. That person was clearly a fuddy-duddy.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 6:48 PM on Dec. 30, 2012

• I don't see a problem with it. My son rides a 4-wheeler with his dad all the time. As long as you guys are responsible then I say let the kids have fun.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 6:50 PM on Dec. 30, 2012

• To me it is no different that a go-kart, 4-wheeler or even a golf cart... as long as all safety precautions are being taken ( and it sounds like they were) I see absolutely no problem with it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:52 PM on Dec. 30, 2012

• Yes they both ride on the snowmobile with us. The 7.5 year old is too tall to ride in front and rides in the back with dad, but the 5.5 year old rides in front with me. Helmets and appropriately dressed of course. They also have their own small snowmobile that they drive around the yard, but we don't let them take that on the trails. This isn't the first time we have had them out on the trails, but it is the first time someone has negatively commented about it. We usually get comments from other snowmobilers thinking it is great to do with the family.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:26 PM on Dec. 30, 2012