Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

This is bugging me. Isn't there another name for a mute that is used to change the sound on musical instruments?

I'm looking on google and not coming up with the name. I swear this is another name for this plunger device thingy. Anyone know what I'm talking about???

Answer Question

Asked by jeanclaudia at 10:13 PM on Dec. 30, 2012 in Just for Fun

Level 32 (56,918 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • Not a clue Jean.

    Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:16 PM on Dec. 30, 2012

  • you mean like play softly?

    Answer by feralxat at 10:17 PM on Dec. 30, 2012

  • <<< lists all the instuments and what to use to mute them... does this help?? 
    The thing for a trumpet is infact called a "Trumpet Plunger" or "Trumpet Plunger Mute"  though 


    Answer by Crafty26 at 10:22 PM on Dec. 30, 2012

  • I know what you are referring to.. I thought they were just called "mutes" and didn't realize they had special names, though.

    Answer by 29again at 10:28 PM on Dec. 30, 2012

  • I must be wrong...I could have sworn there was another word for it.

    Comment by jeanclaudia (original poster) at 10:33 PM on Dec. 30, 2012

  • damper?

    Answer by Dardenella at 10:45 PM on Dec. 30, 2012

  • resonators, mufflers, silencers or mute are common sound altering components.

    Answer by LeJane at 12:00 AM on Dec. 31, 2012

  • THIS is for a piano
    Piano pedals are foot-operated levers at the base of a piano which change the instrument's sound in various ways. Modern pianos usually have three pedals, from left to right, the soft pedal (or una corda), the sostenuto pedal (mainly found in American-made grands), and the sustaining pedal (or damper pedal). Some pianos omit the sostenuto pedal, or have a middle pedal with a different purpose such as a muting function also known as silent piano.

    Answer by Dardenella at 12:58 AM on Dec. 31, 2012

  • STFU?

    Answer by luvs2bamom798 at 1:11 AM on Dec. 31, 2012

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.