Son's Birthday approaching fast(PIOC)

My oldest son's birthday is January 7th and he will be 11 this year(can't believe it!!) The problem is with Christmas just passing I am at a lost as to what to get him. He got legos; a discovery kids tornado lab kit; walkie talkies; a helicopter; an alarm clock and some books for Christmas so we can't think of anything to get him. I was thinking maybe just giving him some money and letting him get whatever he wants(or save it if he wants) but that seems impersonal to me. I just need some suggestions please. Thanks

We asked him and he told us he doesn't care what he gets

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 7:31 AM on Dec. 31, 2012 in Holidays

• My son's birthday is ALSO January 7th! This time of year our budget is stretched and he only had two items he said he still wanted after Christmas which we will get him. We do hotel stays with a swimming pool the week of his real birthday because a party so close to Christmas has not very good attendence.Its fun to swim inside and a trip to a museum or something special. You can wrap tickets up just like anything else. He gets tickets to Monster Trucks from Grandma. You can also do movie passes, art, skiing, music or karate lessons, museum passes or take him on a shopping trip and maybe a special lunch or dinner to go with it. We focus on the celebration and not so much the gifts. This year I did agree to a kids birthday party at the local bowling alley which we are doing on the 26th. It seems late but it will give him a little time between celebrations.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• How about setting a money limit & taking him out for a trip to ToysRUS & letting him pick what he wants? I did that for my Son's 6th Birthday. I bought him some toys that he didn't know about already but I took him for a trip to TRU with a set limit (he has no concept of money yet). ***If you go to Customer Service & tell them it's his B-Day, they will blow up a balloon, they get a crown & then as you shop they say "we wish Happy Birthday to "......."!" over the loud speaker. Then everyone that passes him says "Happy Birthday!" My Son was thrilled!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:24 PM on Dec. 31, 2012

• We do clothes for birthdays, usually - grandparents do it too. Though this year I'm considering buying a couple of more expensive ebooks for DD's Kindle (her bday is also in January, got the Kindle for Christmas) instead.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 11:35 AM on Dec. 31, 2012

• Yeah DD's 5th birthday was December 27th. We planned ahead and bought her birthday gifts while christmas shopping. We got her a larger item to go with one of her play sets she got. But I understand a 5 year old girl is much easier than and 11 year old boy!! So, this was my first thought ( DH used to fly helicopters) If this is his first you may want to invest in some spare parts and a small magnetic screwdriver set of his own. These things will come in handy as he learns to fly it. It is much harder than it looks! Or- if he is enjoying the lego sets, I swear kids can never have to many legos... Or as Mrsmom mentioned an outing with a friend may be exactly what he would like! Sometimes the party it's self can be the gift. Take him and a buddy or two to an arcade and let them go to town or a movie and out to a pizza buffet- what ever he is into.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:03 AM on Dec. 31, 2012

• Having a Bday so close to Christmas is hard. My 10 y/o has a Bday in March, & I always set a gift or 2 aside for that. Since he made out pretty good at Christmas, I would just do something like a movie & a gift card. Is he having friends over? You could let them watch the movie & get pizza or something. Hope he has a great Bday no matter what you choose to do! :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:26 AM on Dec. 31, 2012