How do I get my tween daughter involved in school activities?

My daughter is 11 and she is a bit shy. I would like to see her get involved in ANY community or school activities. I have suggested art classes, sports-every one of them, music, student council etc. and she refuses to join anything. Her friends are involved but she will not. She does not hang out with other children after school because they are all involved in something. We live in a small community and I believe that being involved in outside activities is healthy. She just wants to be with me.

momsfaith63

Asked by momsfaith63 at 8:18 AM on Dec. 31, 2012 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think I would start smaller. If you truly mean anything...you are open so that's good. Say she like animals. Have a friend over and visit the local animal shelter. Go a few times. Then you can volunteer with her a few times and work up to her doing it by herself. OR and I am equally okay with this as long as she does not actually have an anxiety disorder....sign her up for something small. If you suspect anxiety talking to a therapist a few sessions could help her move past being right up under you. Separation anxiety or generalized anxiety vp can happen at any age. So no worries. Keep at it. If she attends school with zero problems why the issue away from you when not at school is an interesting puzzle. It could be she and you both know she has no choice in that one. If that's the case then no choice again may works. As in you have an appointment and you made arrangements so she must go to her chosen place. GL
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:49 AM on Jan. 3, 2013

• maybe she doesnt have a best friend yet, tell her the only way she can find one is to be involved.
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 1:21 AM on Jan. 4, 2013

• I would talk to the other parents in your neighborhood, or in the school to see what activities the kids are in.
    WifeyandMom71

Answer by WifeyandMom71 at 2:27 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• She'll get involved soon enough. I would be happy that she wants to spend time with you...Give her two or three years and she may not want to have anything to do with you.
    Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 7:09 PM on Jan. 22, 2013