Seizures = Brain Damage? (A little long...)

On Christmas day, one of my 1-1/2 year old Siberian Huskies, Kinzei, had 4 grand mal seizures (she had had 2 others within the past few months). After seizure #3 that day, I took her to the ER vet where they checked her over and drew her blood and said all looked fine. Went home with Phenobarbital that she now gets every 12 hours. It was on the way home from the vet where she had seizure #4. No seizures since.

The next morning, Kinzei was very lethargic and seemed zoned out and scared to death of our other Husky. Talked to my vet that morning (regular vet...not ER vet) and he said that was due to the cluster of seizures the previous day, was completely normal, and that she would be back to her normal self within a couple of days.

A few hours later, Kinzei started acting very anxious and whiny and still scared of other Husky. Next morning she was more her normal self and started to play with other Husky in the snow outside. She is progressively getting back to normal in most ways, but not all.

Basically, she acts like a puppy. She knows no boundaries. If you are sitting on the couch eating a bowl of popcorn, she is literally all over you trying to get a piece. When she wants attention, she does nothing short of attacking you (friendly...no aggression (thank God)). If you close the gate to where she can't get into the same room you are in, she sits there and whines and howls. She sticks her nose into EVERYTHING and wants to chew on EVERYTHING. Like I said, it's like she's a puppy all over again...a 53 pound puppy.

For anyone who has went through seizures with dogs.....did this happen with yours? Is there still a chance she will get back to "normal," or at least be able to be retaught, or is this now her "normal?"

We love her and will not give up on her no matter what, but quite honestly, the idea of this for the next 10+ years scares the crud out of me.

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 8:26 AM on Dec. 31, 2012 in Pets

• She may need to be retrained. I would just go back to things you did when she was a puppy. Sometimes we have to back track and start at the beginning. I hope she continues on the uphill and continues to get back to normal.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:10 AM on Dec. 31, 2012

• I agree with coala. She may just need to be retrained. Just work with her the same way you did the first time. Good luck!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:23 AM on Dec. 31, 2012