Do you think he should be banned from this Facebook page for these comments?

I belong to a FB page dedicated to my city's history.
Someone posted a pic of an old ice cream parlor,and one of the commentors said,"now the headquarters of the local Teabaggers,lol"
On another pic of a house fire,someone posted a link to the newspaper article that covered the story,and the article below it was about Joseph McCarthy.
The same man commented,"I've always wondered what Joe would have thought about the Tea Party. By the way,great articles!"
Yesterday,one of the members posted that she thinks that he should be banned from the page for all his "political rants" and this page isn't for that,blah blah blah
I was amazed that a whole bunch of people jumped on the banning bandwagon with her.
This man is a respected teacher at my old high school
I commented today and asked how many of them had him as a teacher,and said are we all now suppose to be walking on eggshells that we may be banned next?
I looked at the TOS. The only thing that's mentioned is cursing and posting inappropriate pics

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 9:13 AM on Dec. 31, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• No I don't think so and I doubt FB would even do it. I have watched threads on pages get NASTY. Reported where some chick threatened to find my friend and kill him- I know he reported it too. Never deleted- never banned- nothing happened. FB is a VERY public forum and I think they try really hard not to remove anything unless it is breaking a law ( which you would think threatening to kill would be huh...)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:16 AM on Dec. 31, 2012

• Ummm...I see nothing wrong with what he said. Just because you don't like what someone said doesn't mean he should be banned. Seems a little harsh to me.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 9:17 AM on Dec. 31, 2012

• It's not up to facebook - it's up to whoever runs the page. Whether you think it's free speech or not, fb pages are privately run - just like member run groups on CM.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:23 AM on Dec. 31, 2012

• "he shouldn't be able to say those things."

So, now they don't want to just ban him from the page, they want to take away his freedom of speech? Wow.

I see nothing wrong with what he said. If someone disagrees with him, they have that right, just as he has the right to say what he thinks/wants/feels. It doesn't mean anyone needs to be banned.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:32 AM on Dec. 31, 2012

• while what he's doing is annoying (ppl who make every single thing about something else are a pet peeve) its not ban worthy. have they even tried talking to him about it...like outside the group, maybe PM him? things like this always escalate quickly b/c ppl dont think...cause hey its just the internet.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:36 AM on Dec. 31, 2012

• freedom of speech.
    he said nothing inappropriate or vulgar.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 12:30 PM on Dec. 31, 2012

• Seems ridiculous to me.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:45 AM on Dec. 31, 2012

• I just thought it was shitty for this person to start a thread asking that we all back her on banning him,when she could have PM'ed the admin and asked him to talk to the commentor,or PM'ed him personally with her problem with his comments.

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 9:31 AM on Dec. 31, 2012

• Someone else just commented that it doesn't matter who he is,(teacher) he shouldn't be able to say those things.
    I wonder if had it been someone of the other party,this wouldn't have even been an issue. If a Democrat would have suggested that a Tea Party member be banned,all hell would have broken loose.
    If the comments would have been ignored,none of this would have been an issue

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 10:02 AM on Dec. 31, 2012

• The admin contacted him and asked him to 'tone it down"
    Huh? Yeah. Those sure were some blatant words he spewed. Better hold back. *eyeroll*
    I thought we were all adults there. I think the average age is 45. Most are 65+
    I remember the teacher from school. You couldn't meet a sweeter guy. you know,the kind that'd give you the shirt off his back?
    I'm just wondering why what he said was so controversial,but yet the bitch who basically calls for his head isn't chastised.
    I wonder if she was the one in school that told the teacher she forgot to assign homework for over the X-mas break

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 2:51 PM on Dec. 31, 2012