Is it normal to feel this hungry in early pregnancy?

I'm 5 weeks pregnant and an hr after eating my stomach starts growling and if I don't eat, I feel weak and dizzy. I have a history of eating less than anyone else, but I can't be this hungry all the time just from that! I've always enjoyed salads but especially now that I'm pregnant, that's what I crave most (even had salad for breakfast this morn!) If the baby's only the size of an orange seed, why am I this hungry? I want to give my baby what it needs, but NOT gain excessive pounds. Can anyone relate? What's going on?

javagirl531

Asked by javagirl531 at 10:00 AM on Dec. 31, 2012 in Pregnancy

• Go ahead and eat,just keep it healthy stuff

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:03 AM on Dec. 31, 2012

• You are only supposed to eat an extra 500 calories/day, which isn't much. Try to eat nutritious foods and snack on fruits/veggies. You should gain very little in the first 3 months or so.

Answer by missanc at 10:03 AM on Dec. 31, 2012

• Every pregnancy is different. My first I was so sick I couldn't stand most food, and actually lost weight the first few months. My second, I was nauseous, but not actually sick, and had little appetite. Third was hungrier, but only craved salads and crusty bread!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:18 AM on Dec. 31, 2012

• I really didn't have to much of a appetite at first I mostly ate fruits and veggies..
    Cher53

Answer by Cher53 at 12:12 PM on Dec. 31, 2012

• ha never mind - today i can't seem to get anything down. So much for being scared I'll eat to much. Full force morning sickness has arrived.
    javagirl531

Comment by javagirl531 (original poster) at 1:42 PM on Dec. 31, 2012