Puppy food - recommendations please - plus a question at the end.

She's currently on NutriSource - we bought it from the breeder because that's what she was used to, but I can't get it anywhere myself. Not too fond of it anyway. Our older bigger outside dog gets Ol Roy, but I want to give the puppy something better since she's an inside dog. I checked out the options at PetSmart a couple weeks ago but got really overwhelmed!

Puppy facts: Chiweenie. She might hit 5 lbs at full grown - at 12 weeks she's still not quite 2 lbs. She hasn't had any problems eating dry food from the day we got her (refused to eat the dry food if we added any water, even though that's what the breeder had been doing). Eats roughly 1/2 cup of food in a 24-hour period and drinks about 1 cup of water. Poops at least 6 times a day with no issues - a good solid 3-5 inch turd (sorry for the graphics).

Our vet is no help - he says feed her what we want to feed her. We do add a puppy supplement to her food - kind of like a probiotic for puppies, we give it to our older dog too (the adult formula).

Now the question - could I make all of her food myself? Or is there something in packaged dog food that makes at least some of it necessary (vitamins, minerals, etc)? She eats so little and we eat a lot of things I see on dog food labels anyway, like chicken, salmon, sweet potatoes, other veggies, etc., it wouldn't be a big deal.

Sorry so long, really want what's best and I get overwhelmed too easily with so many options put in front of me! And I know there are some women here who are extremely knowledgeable about this subject ;o).

idareyou

Asked by idareyou at 1:29 PM on Dec. 31, 2012 in Pets

• I am a fan of Blue Buffalo.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:44 PM on Dec. 31, 2012

• Blue buffalo has coupons on their website.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:52 PM on Dec. 31, 2012

• If you would rather make it your self, go for it! It would be so much better for her.
    If you want to go with store bought, try Purina benefuls. The dry and wet. You'll freak out when you open the wet and see and smell it! It looks so good with all the meat and veggies!
    2monstersmommy

Answer by 2monstersmommy at 3:12 PM on Dec. 31, 2012

• I also love Blue Buffalo. Whatever you choose the first ingredient should be a meat. It should not have corn or brewers rice in it- those are fillers and nothing else. You can make her food your self. There are many diets out there to choose from. Make sure the one you are using includes organ meat, veggies and bone meal for a balanced diet.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:55 PM on Dec. 31, 2012

• No no no Beneful...YUCK BAD PHUEY! Beneful is THE WORST dog "food" on the market, with Ol' Roy being a close second. Please read the ingredient labels and understand exactly what each ingredient means. Some good websites to start are www.dogfoodproject.com and www.dogfoodadvisor.com...the latter rates almost every brand of dog food known from 1 (lowest) to 5 (highest) stars. I personally feed mine Merrick's Whole Earth Farms, but anything from Merrick is good. I've also fed Blue Buffalo, Canidae, & Taste of the Wild. One day, I'd love to feed them either raw or homecooked, but it's just not in the cards for me. Dogs don't HAVE to eat dog food...what do you think theyes ate before it was invented? They ate what their people ate. :-)
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 1:15 AM on Jan. 1, 2013

• The most popular pet food manufacturers get away with some NASTY stuff!! How do you think they stay in business? They take the cheap and nasty leftovers from the human food chain and mix it all together and sell it cheap. If you spend a little more on food for your pets' food, it will last longer because it will contain good, wholesome ingredients that your pets' body can actually USE and you'll have less clean up and fewer vet bills.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 1:20 AM on Jan. 1, 2013

• Last post, I promise! :-D I would not trust ANYTHING made by Purina! They get ingredients from China. Their chicken jerky "treats" (along with other manufacturers' "treats") have KILLED (360) or sickened (2200) (as of Sept) so many dogs, but they REFUSE to recall them (or atleast STOP accepting the ingredients from China)! Don't believe me...look it up! The FDA has issued many warnings, but they can't /won't force a recall unless tests find the exact culprit (which the Chinese government won't give them any of the raw ingredients to test...I mean, what are they hiding???)!!!
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 1:33 AM on Jan. 1, 2013

• I am going to be switching my dog to Blue Buffalo but the Beneful wet food is actually really good from what my husband and father in law has told me
    MrsErdos2011

Answer by MrsErdos2011 at 11:51 AM on Jan. 9, 2013