Do anyone know someone in the EMT field or work as EMT paramedic?

Many people telling me to go to the national guard. that made many people lazy and don't want to go out and find a job and always depend on the army when you are not active duty. i have friends like this and they like to try to ride off me. I am currently going to college for nursing but I want to be an EMT do they make a reasonable amount?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Dec. 31, 2012 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I was an emt in 2005. It was minimum wage but long shifts. Certification course was only 3 months and under 1000 dollars. You have to have nerves of steel. I was not ready for it but now I have kids and cant work the hours.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:09 PM on Dec. 31, 2012

• Emergency medical technician is a step below paramedic. The ambulance will usually have two EMTs and one paramedic.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:11 PM on Dec. 31, 2012

• was it something u can live off of?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:13 PM on Dec. 31, 2012

• I couldn't support my kids on minimum wage.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:15 PM on Dec. 31, 2012

• The real question is can you be effective at saving lives in emergency situations. That's all that matters with that job. The pay increases at paramedic.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:16 PM on Dec. 31, 2012

• I went through school and worked as both a volunteer EMT/Paramedic and Firefighter. I never worked at it for money. I enjoyed it while I was young, but cannot imagine doing it now.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:18 PM on Dec. 31, 2012

• Like staci said, EMT is a step below paramedic. Many use their EMT training as a stepping stone. Most of the EMTs I know actually work in the ER and they say it's better than working in the field. They are also all going to school for either nursing or PA. They make okay money and if you get on at a hospital the benes are usually pretty decent. Also, working evenings, weekends, or nights can have shift differential, if you work in a hospital ER.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 4:19 PM on Dec. 31, 2012

• me and my husband are taking EMT classes right now - but its to join the volunteer dept in our town so we wont be making any money :/ just volunteering! :)
    futurebabykar

Answer by futurebabykar at 4:22 PM on Dec. 31, 2012

• The ones I know seem to think so but they are not living "well"
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:36 PM on Dec. 31, 2012

• I'd think it depends where you live. Here, and in many surrounding towns, EMTs are volunteer only - none get paid anything.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 4:37 PM on Dec. 31, 2012