Why Mothers Day Out?

Hi! I have been a work-from-home mom for a year and a few months and am having some issues with finding a good social outlet for her. She's going to be 3 in May. I have tried playgroups and that's not really working out. I have a problem making friends and other familes aren't consistent in attendance so my little one has to go without. Her next birthday will be another with no little friends to help celebrate :-(

I am considering Mothers Day Out... I asked my husband if he would be open to it and I guess the tuition rates are a big turn-off for him (150-160/month) so getting him on board it going to be a problem.

Is Mother's Day Out an appropriate solution for this problem? If you have a child in MOD, what made you decide to enroll?

texasduchess

Asked by texasduchess at 7:19 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i live on base and we have a free mothers day out once a month. we live far from any family.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 7:24 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Yeah, I have never heard of mother's day out charging! The cost you are describing is comparitive to flippin' daycare!!

Try www.meetup.com, they have tons of groups and you may be able to find one in your area. good luck!!
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 7:26 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• My one year old is in MDO. I decided to because she is an only child and I have no friends with kids. I love it and plan on keeping her in it. It's worth the money. I do my online classes at night and those days she's in school, so it helps out alot.
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 7:34 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• A lot of churches in my area do MDO/nursery school and when my first son was 15 months I enrolled him. I have never heard of MDO not charging you, they all do that here. He went 1 day a week the first year, then the next he went 2 days. Now he's in Preschool through our school district 5 days a week. I enrolled him in the first place because of his speech difficulties and his speech pathologist suggested it so that he would be with others in his peer group who were talkers. I haven't started my younger son yet...he just turned 2 last month. He's an avid speaker and I don't see the need yet, but next Fall I will be enrolling him for 2 days a week. I think it's a great opportunity for them to interact with other children in their peer group and it allows me to get some errands taken care of with out a toddler to cart around with me.

boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 7:37 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Does your local library have a story time geared towards kids your child's age? We did that every week when my kids were that age.

Another thing we do is a Toddler Time with Jesus group at our church weekly.

In addition, our local park authority and local college athletic center have different six week "classes" for kids. We took a few of those and met some other families that way. Those, of course, do cost money, but were less than what your Parent's Morning Out might cost.
    lauraslefthook

Answer by lauraslefthook at 9:59 PM on Feb. 12, 2009