Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I get my divorce decree?

I was divorced a few years ago. My ex filed, so I didn't have a lawyer. I received the decree in the mail, but it was lost in a fire. I don't speak to my ex, and I don't remember the name of his lawyer. I think I know what county the divorce was granted in, but not what city or what courthouse. It's in Michigan. Does anyone know how I can get a copy with limited info?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 PM on Dec. 31, 2012 in Relationships

Answers (5)
  • My best guess would be to see if there is a county courthouse in the county it was granted in. If you know the county, you should be able to google it to get info on contact information. Even if they don't have it, I am sure they can point you in the right direction.

    Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:58 PM on Dec. 31, 2012

  • It will be on file with the county, either at the courthouse or at the county clerk's office. Call the county clerk's office; a county clerk is tasked with all record keeping.

    Answer by gdiamante at 1:26 AM on Jan. 1, 2013

  • Make life easy on yourself and just call him. You will cut through tons of red tape by having the information you need to get the info.

    Answer by Dardenella at 1:30 AM on Jan. 1, 2013

  • Start here, LINK

    Or you can do an online search for the county records, or call the county courthouse were the divorce took place.


    Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:15 AM on Jan. 1, 2013

  • Search the web for your city/county's clerk of the court office. Call them and ask them to advise you. They usually will refer you anyway to the right person. Usually, it requires that you make the request in person.

    Answer by hellokittykat at 9:19 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.