SO. My goal for 2013 is to finally complete the paper work to file SSI for my son.

I fully expect to be denied and have to appeal but other than that- what has other mom's experience been. How long did it all take? Did you end up having to hire a lawyer?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 9:14 AM on Jan. 1, 2013 in Kids' Health

• I filed years ago, & I understand they've gotten much more difficult to deal with since then. I married in '98 & that's when they cut off my son's SSI. I know you will need to provide as much documented proof as possible, incl. medical evaluations. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:40 AM on Jan. 1, 2013

• i filed paperwork with SSI to get disability label from SS to get onto autism therapy list
    it was not the paperwork to get any money - different result, same form basically

i was denied, and then i was sent paperwork along with a return envelope
    paperwork was - for "intent to appeal" (not even the appeal part yet)

i filled out (short form) placed in the prepaid return addressed envelope... BUT i pplaced this envelope into a CERTIFIED MAIL ENVELOPE

when the form made it to SS office, someone had to sign for it, and my reply was most likely NOT placed in a huge pile of others that were denied... guess what- my daughter's "intent to appeal"= approved
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:50 AM on Jan. 1, 2013

• i had daughters first autism dx a few days after she turned 3
    started on the paperwork day after that
    she is almost 5 and a half
    still no ABA therapy

but word is that we are very close to the top of the waiting list

so 2.5 years from first starting to actually getting ABA, is not that unusaul
    however...in country i was in before- disability county worker stirred me the wrong way in the paperwork- was wasted 9 months waiting

some states waiting lists for therapy are shorter but at least a year from start to getting ABA

( i assume you are talking about SS disability to get ABA)- right?
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:55 AM on Jan. 1, 2013

• if you are looking for lawyer info- sounds like the ss disability for long term financial support

?

i do not know about that paperwork, but can assume it is very close to what i filled out plus you will the money part
    best i have then is to send all intent to appeal, and appeals in a certified envelope - so someone must sign
    and- heard a lawyer is a choice, a lawyer can take case for a % of money that will be received

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:58 AM on Jan. 1, 2013

• I filed years ago and was accepted the first time, no attorney, no problems.

Answer by missanc at 10:11 AM on Jan. 1, 2013

• When we filled for my sons, it was '07. He had to go to a few appointments for them (their med and psych evals) but he was approved first time. The hardest part of it is the waiting. And, be sure to keep copies of all the paperwork they send you, even if they are denied. Be sure to have all the contact info for all the docs our child has seen and be sure that they know your are filling. And, just so you know, every few years be prepared for SS to ask for your son to be reevaluated. Its common practice. I wouldn't suggest a lawyer unless you have been denied in the past.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 2:57 PM on Jan. 1, 2013