Pantry organization

I just moved into a new house and my pantry is just a mess. I just haven't had real time to organize because of the holiday and starting new job ect. anyways, since today is new year I thought this was a good day to tackle that task and some other organizing tasks as well. Anyone have any easy oranizing tips for the pantry? thanks

lambdarose

Asked by lambdarose at 11:09 AM on Jan. 1, 2013 in Home & Garden

• I put all the cans together. Then boxed foods together. Cereal boxes together.

Answer by louise2 at 11:19 AM on Jan. 1, 2013

• ok. i am going to try that. thanks. have to start somewhere.
    lambdarose

Comment by lambdarose (original poster) at 11:29 AM on Jan. 1, 2013

• I take packaged snacks ( nutrigrain bars, granola bars, fruit nuggets, fruit leather ect...) out of the box and put it in a big easy access basket. That way when the kids want a snack I can pull out the basket and they can dig for what they want- I don't have to go through all the boxes or worse- them going through all the boxes and not putting them back right! Things like popcorn and DH energy bars I tear off the tops and set them on their sides ( opening facing outwardly) so I/he can just reach in and grab one- no need to pull out the box or fumble with the tops. I stack tupperware type containers together and have all the lids in a separate basket together. Easier than trying to stack them with the lids. A magazine file works wonders for storing plastic wrap, foil, ect...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:32 AM on Jan. 1, 2013

• Oh! Cereal I pour into large storage containers. Easier to see what is in it and it is less messy since I keep a 1/2 cup measuring cup in the pantry for cereal scooping vs. pouring. Plus it stays fresh longer.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:34 AM on Jan. 1, 2013

• i just do it by level/shelf. 1) cereal & bread 2) boxed & can 3) snacks & junk food 4) baking supplies

Tesserae

Answer by Tesserae at 11:41 AM on Jan. 1, 2013

• I have a basket but its all the way at the top. I don't have a magazine file but that ok i can just stack them on the top. I like the storage conatainers for the cereal. It might start making me eat it more. Do you buy it like at walmart ect? I always wanted those containers for the counter but I don't have space her but I have lots of space in the pantry and I also have alot of cabinets.
    lambdarose

Comment by lambdarose (original poster) at 11:42 AM on Jan. 1, 2013

• I thought I had a wonderful way of organizing my pantry and for the last 2 years I was happy with it and knew where everything was...THEN my husband came in there this weekend and got a wild hair up his nose and CHANGED IT ALL to his liking!!
    Oh well, at least it's organized and looks good for now :)
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 11:48 AM on Jan. 1, 2013

• I have the same problem. I went through my pantry the other day and sorted by box can and etc
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:24 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• well, I did it and it's better. Thanks ladies. Now to tackle some picture frames and put away christmas items. So much to do so little time.
    lambdarose

Comment by lambdarose (original poster) at 1:47 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• http://www.marthastewart.com/274787/25-kitchen-organizers/@center/276989/organizing#276887

martha stewart has some really neat tips for pantry organization. for her customized items, i buy cheaper versions of it from target/walmart/micheals
    good luck ! :)
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 4:23 PM on Jan. 1, 2013