A Message from an Atheist

This was posted on December 21st, days after the shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, and on the day that some believed the Mayan calendar predicted the end of the world. 

A Message from an Atheist

Even though the video is just over twelve minutes in its entirety, it's really only about eight minutes, the last four being music with a simple on-screen message.

I predict that not many will watch it because they fear that it will be full of atheist vitriol (because we atheists are such hateful people, after all) or that it will challenge their beliefs (again, hardly ever welcome).  It's a thoughtful message, though, and what I take from it most of all is that we depend on each other in so many ways.  We need each other, and should love each other. 

Unless you watch it with preconceived notions and can't listen to it without forming your arguments against what he says (in other words, not really listening at all), I think most people will be able to appreciate the message.

Let's discuss it. 

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 12:18 PM on Jan. 1, 2013 in Religious Debate

• No, I said the reason I wouldn't had to do with the length of the video not atheism but I never said I never would and I guess curiosity got the best of me. Yes we watched the same video (again the first 5 minutes of it anyway) and yes, excuse me, the first couple were about angels as a kid. My point was obviously I did not watch enough to see the "message" at the end.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:12 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• You took one statement Ryan'smom and did not listen to the context in which it was being stated.
    Maecnt- I find it humerous that you admit to not listening to it fully after stating it wasn't worth your time to begin with and you feel like you understand teh message enough to comment on it. So why bother?
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:16 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• I think the both of you have done exactly what the OP was afraid of happening. You listened with preconceived notions of what you expected to hear and thus did not listen at all and are now arguing that instead of the intended message
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:17 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• Lol, again, my response was based off the 5 minutes I did watch, as again, I stated in the beginning. I have not rebutted anything anyone has said about the actual "message".
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:19 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• I give up, lol. Nevermind!
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:20 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• I think I'll change my profession to Prophet.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 1:25 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

I dont' believe in prophets. :P
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:27 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• I think he makes many good points. We are more affective as humans if we work together. When divided we can not accomplish anything compared to what we could if we looked out for humanity and not our own beliefs and desires. Life is not black and white and you can still love, enjoy, and work with those who live in the grey.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 1:30 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

•  think the both of you have done exactly what the OP was afraid of happening.

~~

If this video was reversed and a Christian talked about how wrong atheism is and how wrong the belief was, but at the end told everyone we just need to work together and I love you all.  I don't think you would appreciate the message of the video either.

I stated I can understand why he feels the way he does, but 90% of the video is very condescending.  If a Christian put out a video like this there is no way you'd watch it with an open mind.  I was very interested in his thoughts, unfortunately he can't express them without telling everyone who disagrees with him how wrong them are.  I love him too, if that makes him feel better.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:34 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• I also think once we realize that we can only control what we do and that's the only control we truly need we will be better off. Instead of trying to control others.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 1:37 PM on Jan. 1, 2013