A Message from an Atheist

This was posted on December 21st, days after the shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, and on the day that some believed the Mayan calendar predicted the end of the world. 

A Message from an Atheist

Even though the video is just over twelve minutes in its entirety, it's really only about eight minutes, the last four being music with a simple on-screen message.

I predict that not many will watch it because they fear that it will be full of atheist vitriol (because we atheists are such hateful people, after all) or that it will challenge their beliefs (again, hardly ever welcome).  It's a thoughtful message, though, and what I take from it most of all is that we depend on each other in so many ways.  We need each other, and should love each other. 

Unless you watch it with preconceived notions and can't listen to it without forming your arguments against what he says (in other words, not really listening at all), I think most people will be able to appreciate the message.

Let's discuss it. 

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 12:18 PM on Jan. 1, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I am not watching it because I simply won't sit through a vid on the computer that long.
    I thought you have told me atheism isn't a religion. You seem to proseletize in the religious sections a lot for it not being a religion.
    I have no problems with atheists. Do what you want.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:43 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• I'm not so sure he was saying its wrong, more so wrong for him. He stated the flaws he seen in it. Which I'm sure you see flaws in hinduism, atheism, paganism and so on. I think if you could look past that without letting it offered you because honestly there's so etching we all see as false the message is a positive strong and helpful one.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 1:43 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• I stated I can understand why he feels the way he does, but 90% of the video is very condescending

Well when you're looking for it you can find it in the simplest of statements, regardless of if it is present or not.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:44 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• Offered offend and so etching something I swear auto correct is stupid lol
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 1:45 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• The next Christian video about how wrong atheism is will go over real well than.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:46 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• Sure, he talks about how faith alone isn't practical.  However, what I take away from his message is that it takes more than faith or prayer to help anyone.  Religion is divisive.  It's only not divisive if everyone believes in the same god(s) in the same way.  Prayer does nothing to help humanity.  We have to tackle problems on a practical level, not a spiritual one.  Prayer would not have stopped a gunman from shooting helpless, innocent children.  Apparently, no god could stop it, either.  Working on real solutions is the only way to bring about change.  If you find that to be an attack on your god or your beliefs, then so be it.  But tell me, then, how religion - or even belief - solves anything.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 1:49 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• Bring the videos about how wrong atheism is.  This is a debate section.  Let's debate it.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 1:51 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• I have a house full of kids and can't watch it right now. But I will come back to watch it later.

Thanks for posting it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:52 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• Only he never said that religion was wrong. Only that it is not a solution to the problems of the world. (as some would think, for example those demanding prayer in schools as a "solution" to school shootings). It is in that manner that it is harmful (when used as an answer or solution to the world's problems because it doesn't solve anything).
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:01 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• Kristi you're right he never says religion is wrong, but he did say  "believing in a God harms everyone". 

Religion can be divisive and so can atheism.  Ask anyone in Eastern Europe. 

I do believe prayer can help humanity, but prayer doesn't stop us from tackling the problem using more tangle means.  So what are the what are some solutions?  Gun control, good luck.  Mental health care, definitely.  Programs to monitor the severely mentally ill, yes, but how do you do this without stripping them of specific civil rights?

These aren't religious questions.  I don't think religion or God is preventing people from finding solutions.  The problem is people are as divided politically as they are spiritually.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:20 PM on Jan. 1, 2013