A Message from an Atheist

This was posted on December 21st, days after the shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, and on the day that some believed the Mayan calendar predicted the end of the world. 

A Message from an Atheist

Even though the video is just over twelve minutes in its entirety, it's really only about eight minutes, the last four being music with a simple on-screen message.

I predict that not many will watch it because they fear that it will be full of atheist vitriol (because we atheists are such hateful people, after all) or that it will challenge their beliefs (again, hardly ever welcome).  It's a thoughtful message, though, and what I take from it most of all is that we depend on each other in so many ways.  We need each other, and should love each other. 

Unless you watch it with preconceived notions and can't listen to it without forming your arguments against what he says (in other words, not really listening at all), I think most people will be able to appreciate the message.

Let's discuss it. 

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 12:18 PM on Jan. 1, 2013 in Religious Debate

• And does not the divide in spirit further many of those problems. Instead of focusing on unity they are telling one another they are wrong because they are not Christians, or not the right kind of Christian because they don't go to church sunday wednesday and friday, or Saturday tuesday and thursday. Just look at the outrage at Muslims in this country. When people focus on God or which religion is the "Right" religion as a "solution" the solutions are overlooked and no progress is made and THAT is what the video was about.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:40 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• "my only hope is that this coming generation...will see the lies for what they are...that they will see how empty & impotent & small the God they worship really is. that they will finally start asking those questions that lead to truth & freedom from the chains of a belief that reduces them to pawns or cannon fodder "

his message of lets work together b/c we are all in this together, which i agree with, is lost in his preaching about why there is no God. his intentions may have been good, but he failed to do what he says we all need to do...work together. he can think he is right, Christians can think they are right, & we CAN work together despite thinking the other is wrong. we need to stop trying to convince other ppl how right we are & just accept that others belief differently & move on.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:41 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• Okmanders nailed it perfectly-other than that, the video is more of the same old, same old- could have been produced by a religious person with the same idea and would have the same effect- too biased to be a starting point of working together-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 3:50 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• I believe also that religion can be divisive, but honestly so can Atheism. We never have, and never will live in a world where we are all united so whatever, but I love inspiring messages of loving one another anyway, and no matter my religious beliefs, I think that is what we are all here to do.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 8:47 PM on Jan. 2, 2013