A Message from an Atheist

This was posted on December 21st, days after the shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, and on the day that some believed the Mayan calendar predicted the end of the world. 

A Message from an Atheist

Even though the video is just over twelve minutes in its entirety, it's really only about eight minutes, the last four being music with a simple on-screen message.

I predict that not many will watch it because they fear that it will be full of atheist vitriol (because we atheists are such hateful people, after all) or that it will challenge their beliefs (again, hardly ever welcome).  It's a thoughtful message, though, and what I take from it most of all is that we depend on each other in so many ways.  We need each other, and should love each other. 

Unless you watch it with preconceived notions and can't listen to it without forming your arguments against what he says (in other words, not really listening at all), I think most people will be able to appreciate the message.

Let's discuss it. 

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 12:18 PM on Jan. 1, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I believe also that religion can be divisive, but honestly so can Atheism. We never have, and never will live in a world where we are all united so whatever, but I love inspiring messages of loving one another anyway, and no matter my religious beliefs, I think that is what we are all here to do.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 8:47 PM on Jan. 2, 2013

• Okmanders nailed it perfectly-other than that, the video is more of the same old, same old- could have been produced by a religious person with the same idea and would have the same effect- too biased to be a starting point of working together-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 3:50 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• "my only hope is that this coming generation...will see the lies for what they are...that they will see how empty & impotent & small the God they worship really is. that they will finally start asking those questions that lead to truth & freedom from the chains of a belief that reduces them to pawns or cannon fodder "

his message of lets work together b/c we are all in this together, which i agree with, is lost in his preaching about why there is no God. his intentions may have been good, but he failed to do what he says we all need to do...work together. he can think he is right, Christians can think they are right, & we CAN work together despite thinking the other is wrong. we need to stop trying to convince other ppl how right we are & just accept that others belief differently & move on.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:41 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• And does not the divide in spirit further many of those problems. Instead of focusing on unity they are telling one another they are wrong because they are not Christians, or not the right kind of Christian because they don't go to church sunday wednesday and friday, or Saturday tuesday and thursday. Just look at the outrage at Muslims in this country. When people focus on God or which religion is the "Right" religion as a "solution" the solutions are overlooked and no progress is made and THAT is what the video was about.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:40 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• Kristi you're right he never says religion is wrong, but he did say  "believing in a God harms everyone". 

Religion can be divisive and so can atheism.  Ask anyone in Eastern Europe. 

I do believe prayer can help humanity, but prayer doesn't stop us from tackling the problem using more tangle means.  So what are the what are some solutions?  Gun control, good luck.  Mental health care, definitely.  Programs to monitor the severely mentally ill, yes, but how do you do this without stripping them of specific civil rights?

These aren't religious questions.  I don't think religion or God is preventing people from finding solutions.  The problem is people are as divided politically as they are spiritually.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:20 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• Only he never said that religion was wrong. Only that it is not a solution to the problems of the world. (as some would think, for example those demanding prayer in schools as a "solution" to school shootings). It is in that manner that it is harmful (when used as an answer or solution to the world's problems because it doesn't solve anything).
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:01 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• I have a house full of kids and can't watch it right now. But I will come back to watch it later.

Thanks for posting it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:52 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• Bring the videos about how wrong atheism is.  This is a debate section.  Let's debate it.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 1:51 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• Sure, he talks about how faith alone isn't practical.  However, what I take away from his message is that it takes more than faith or prayer to help anyone.  Religion is divisive.  It's only not divisive if everyone believes in the same god(s) in the same way.  Prayer does nothing to help humanity.  We have to tackle problems on a practical level, not a spiritual one.  Prayer would not have stopped a gunman from shooting helpless, innocent children.  Apparently, no god could stop it, either.  Working on real solutions is the only way to bring about change.  If you find that to be an attack on your god or your beliefs, then so be it.  But tell me, then, how religion - or even belief - solves anything.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 1:49 PM on Jan. 1, 2013

• The next Christian video about how wrong atheism is will go over real well than.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:46 PM on Jan. 1, 2013